Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Scent considerations out of a ground blind? >

Scent considerations out of a ground blind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent considerations out of a ground blind?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent considerations out of a ground blind?

Anything I need to know about scent control when hunting out of a ground blind. I'd imagine being on the level with the deer instead of 20 feet up a tree means it's more critical. I'm good about hanging my clothes outside and using scent spray. But I just picked up an Ameristep Bully Blind so I can be more mobile and hunt public land easier but I have no idea what to do for scent.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Scent considerations out of a ground blind?

One good tip: live on a farm the scent will take care of it's self. But just wash clothes in non-scented wash, then spray boots,hat, etc. with diluted vanilla 1:3 combination vanilla one water three, or rub crushed up apple on your boots. Or wash everything in vanilla you can get like a imitation one gallon jug of it for like 5 bucks, at a Mexican store.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about washing my clothes in vanilla and rubbing apples on my boots. That sounds a little like someone is trying to play a joke on you. I certainly wouldn't resort to anything like that when all you need to do is use scentless detergent and then spray down with a scent-killer of your choice. The best thing to do no matter how much scent control you practice is pay attention to the wind. If you're going to pack a blind in on the public land with you, set it up facing the direction you want to hunt and with the wind in your face.

I don't use ground blinds on public land because more often than not the deer are going to notice it as something new that wasn't there before and avoid it. But when I set up a ground blind for hunting, I spray the entire thing down with scent-killer (inside and out). Then I camo it really well with vegetation from surrounding trees/plants. Then I hang one Scent-Away Fresh Earth Waffer on each window as a cover scent. You could do the same with a scent-wick with doe pee on it or something of that nature.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

hand wash your clothing in baking soda,in warm weather carry a bottle of odorlock and use it often . spray the blind down once in a while. i hang my clothes ,at least 3 changes on my back porch most of the season. somtimes if we get a good rain i'll hang them out and let mother nature wash them for me. DONT USE APPLE SCENT UNLESS THERE ARE APPLES WHERE YOU HUNT. USE WHATS NATURAL TO YOUR AREA. CEDAR,PINE,FRESH EARTH. don't forget your backpack or what ever else you take along EVERYTHING AS SCENT FREE AS YOU CAN.

if you hunt on a farm just stop dodging those cow piles ,hitem headon . if you smell like a cow the deer won't spook.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 AM

I like to take pine needles or cedar and boil( extract) them in a pan for about 45 min. then take them out and let the water reduce for another 15-20 min. and strain it through a cotton t-shirt or coffee filter put in a spray bottle and now you have a great natural cover scent that cost nothing.try and use what ever plants that are in the area you hunt experiment with it it's the cheepest cover scent you can get.I dont recomend acorns they doon't smell very good when extracted.This is how herbal medice is made.