Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

descent people?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: descent people?

Sorry RR but its more of a challenge to get within 20 yards of a big deer then it is to shoot one from 1300 yards. You're NOT a hunter or even a sportsman for that matter. You're a shooter and nothing more.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

a tire at 1/2 mile? yeah simple enough but is it ethical?
RR
It's about as ethical as what they're doing.Take those tires out!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

Sorry RR but its more of a challenge to get within 20 yards of a big deer then it is to shoot one from 1300 yards. You're NOT a hunter or even a sportsman for that matter. You're a shooter and nothing more.
Pretty tough stand for a brand new holyer than thou newbie. Coming out of the gate like that tells me you won't be here all that long.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner
wish we were neighbors, you'd learn some manners.
RR
One thing I can guarantee is that you aren't near big enough to teach me any manners.

I'm entitled to my opinion and I have it. Nothing you can do about it. I stand by my stance that 1300 yard shots on deer are reckless and needless and irresponsible at best.

You mentioned my bird hunting. I compare your hunting habits to those who hunt strictly pen raised birds and call themselves hunters. They're shooters just like you sir.

Just callin a spade a spade RR.

I have a feeling I'll be around as long as I choose to be Champlain. I'm not above anyone else but I don't think killing a deer from 1300 yards is considered hunting.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

ridge runner, is it just me or is this guy a confrontational dick? it's like whatever anyone'sopinion is on something he has to take the opposite stance. i'm talking about betterbirddogs.i'll bet he doesn't even needfriends, beingall God like.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a feeling I'll be around as long as I choose to be Champlain. I'm not above anyone else but I don't think killing a deer from 1300 yards is considered hunting.
You will be around but nobody will talk with you. I expect you are used to that because of your attitude. I saw a piece on TV about long range coyote hunting. The equipment and techniques to make a killing shot at a game animal at long yardage is incredible. Only a few have the ability to even come close. I consider that alone to weed out 99% of the sportsmen to be able to accomplish long range hunting. Being able to get within close bow range is certainly difficult but equally difficult is to be able to hit what you are aiming at taking into consideration ballistic drop, wind drift, temperature and barometric pressure. To accomplish a close stalk on a game animal everything has to be perfect. The same can be said about a long range killing shot where perfection is the only goal. Our military only allows a select few to become snipers. The equipment and person using it has to be perfect not lucky.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tip Champlain.

Here's me.

Here's your point.

Funny thing is that I'm not the only person here who thinks RR is rediculous.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Everyone has an opinion BBD. Most of us consider all hunting that is both legal and ethical to be of merit.The very argument you use doesn't hold water. Your position is it isn't hunting unless you get close and kill with a bow. Lots of people on here might agree but many don't. I believe that long distance hunting does present a very difficult scenario which is on par with getting close. I won't say that a 20 yard bow shot is on par with a 100 yard rifle shot but push that back to 600 or more yards and the average hunter couldn't even get it into the animal. Taking shots with either bow or rifle without expertise is unethical. If someone has the ability to make a 700 yard shot on game then they deserve to harvest. Flinging a 40 yard shot at a deer when you can't hit a beer box at 20 is just as unethical as someone shooting at a deer at 400 yards when they haven't even practiced at anything beyond 100 yards. Both the up close bow hunter and the long distance marksman pursue the game in the same way… 100%.I still hunt and track deer in the snow at some very large and wild areas of Northern Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and the vast expanses of the west for elk.Sitting on a food plot isn't my way of hunting but I respect people who choose to hunt this way. We are all hunting and as long as it is fair chase then it is ethical.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Yeah, there is another guy who thinks RR is ridiculous. He acts like a punk, too.
Funny thing is that I'm not the only person here who thinks RR is rediculous.
Help me understand how using a rifle is not hunting... but using a shotgun on birds that a dog finds for you is?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

We are all hunting and as long as it is fair chase then it is ethical.

This is a very well stated and true point Champlain.

Quick Reply: descent people?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.