Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer scrapes and rubs

Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 PM

Default deer scrapes and rubs

[&:]Three days ago I found a rub about 2 to 3 foot long on a 6 to 8 inch tree. I went back this morning and now he has started scraping the ground. So much so it looks like someone has raked the leaves away. It is a huge area. It is in a heavily wooded spot. The rubsare about 5 and they are spaced out approx. 10 to 15 yards apart. This area is surrounded by deep hollows. This first tree is the only one with a scrape. What would you guys do? How would you hunt this area? Would you uses any luers or sents? It's off of an old 4 wheeler trail. I have seen some good size bucks out here and would really like to bag this one. Season shut down today and will be closed for 2 weeks before re opening. There is no room to use a stand. I ahve to hunt the ground. Any advice would be greatley accepted.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer scrapes and rubs

Hunt the wind in this situation. Put your stand/blind as far away as you can from the scrap/rub as long as you can still see it and around it. Usually there is a trail nearby the scrapes. If you find one, set up about 60 yards away (If you can still see) and put up a stand. At least thats what I would do, as long as you feel comfortable about the spot.

Welcome to the forums, and a great first post!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM

The area is to thick for a stand or a blind. You HAVE to sit on the ground. It's thick bushes and shrubs. I don't want to cut anything down and disturb the surroundings. It's hard to even walk through. You could be 10 yards away from the rub and miss it completley. If you hunt the hollows they are 20 to 30 foot deep and you can't see it. I've already lost 1 big 12 point this season to this area and don't want to loose another one. My wife suggest that when season ends that i work on the land to make it suitable for tracking. I can't even hunt with my 30-06. I have to use my 30-30.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Default smoking while hunting?

Alot of people say to hunt the wind but I have found it better for me to hunt down wind. I've seen more deer and have had closer shots it may just be where i'm at. I would like to know opinions. Also, all deer that I have killed I have had a cigarette in my mouth. The last one I shot a week ago, A 6inch spike walked up on me 20 yards and bedded down in a sage grass feild in front of me. At this time I was smoking and finishing up using the restroom. Stranger things have happened to me before. This makes me question everything.........
Old 12-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I would have to know what state your in and what kind of stand you have. If your hunting out of a latter stand I would probably try to figure out which way the breeze blows through there for the majority of the time, I would set up no closer than 50 yards but no further than 100 yards downwind from the scrape that he hits the most for the next two weeks that season is closed. Make sure your as scent free as you can be and check the scrapes everyday. I've pretty much decided on my place not to use a grunt call but do just let the does do the work for me and I'm set up roughly 80 to 90 yards off of a scrape. Hope you get him!.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM

If I am 10 yards away from the scrape and rub I loose sight. It is thick dense brush all around, trees that are too small for ladder stands and brush too thick for ground blinds. It is so thick that if you move away any further you'll miss the shot due to a branch or twig in the way. It's a good spot that attracks big deer. Like I said earlier I have already lost a 12 point this season. Visibility is very low. You have to pry your way through this stuff.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 PM

I live in Savannah Tennessee.