Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 RUBS and SCRAPES?? >

RUBS and SCRAPES??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

RUBS and SCRAPES??

Old 10-24-2005, 01:03 PM

Default RUBS and SCRAPES??

I am really starting to see a lot of rubs and scrapes in one area of the woods I hunt...does this mean that bucks are seeking does now and I should be using estrous scents? I live in VA and its Oct 25th.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Spike

Default RE: RUBS and SCRAPES??

I think it's still a little early. Some guys put out estrus doe scents now and some probably have success but I think older bucks and does will tend to spook off. Buck scents in a mock scrape would be a good tactic but I'd wait a couple weeks for the doe in heat. Just MO.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:37 PM

some does come in early. the bucks are starting to get fired up and there have been some lip curling does. i think it would work now....what part of virginia are you hunting? i am hunting in fairfax county
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 PM

I think it is too early, I really think it is mostly younger bucks moving and making the rubs around me, I really don't see the big guys moving till early morning or night. For you it is definently Pre Rut, bucks are getting ready to go, the small ones moving often, but you won't see the big guys move real good for another week or so.

With that said, I would try Estrus scents, see what kind of reaction you might get. If there is no interest reserve it for beginning of November.