Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

land owner part 2

Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default land owner part 2

I was wondering if you tell who ever you let hunt your land not to shoot button bucks. Now it can be hard to tell. If you look and study the deer closer for the most part usually you can tell. My question is would you tell them to read up on to know if its a button buck or tell them what you have observed or both?
Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Default RE: land owner part 2

I do a hunt every year for about 10 US Marines that I invite to a hunt as my way of saying "thanks" to them for their service to our country. I let them all shoot a doe when they come. Before the hunt I always go over with them how to avoid shooting a button buck and usually include some pictures in that discussion. I also let them know to be particularly skeptical of shooting if they see an antlerless deer that is alone.
It seems to help, though most years I still have a button buck shot.

FWIW, here's a story by a local TV station on this year's hunt: http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?s=9268093.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rule on shooting button bucks is that everyone is allowed ONE "mistake", but if it happens again, pack your crap and go home.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

If i let someone hunt on my land, they can shoot what they want. I dont really like conditions placed on me if i am hunting on someone else's ground, so i dont do it to other folks.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

If you are not sure what are shooting, why the heck would you shoot??? Rule #4 be sure of your target.

Very fair request,really common sense.I must admit that I did it a few times when I first started, but a pair of binoculars and the ability to pass on shots after dark:30 is all that is needed to avoid this mistake. If all you can see is the outline of a deer they need to learn to pass on those shots.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Button bucks are the hardest of anything to distinguish. I shot one last year that I thought was the doe leading her fawn into the food plot. Retrieverman, you wouldn't catch me hunting with you. That is a steep price to pay for a very easy mistake to make. Now if I shot a spike, a fork horn, or a backet 8 when you told me not to, then I would understand getting the boot. Hell, until a buck reaches at least 2.5 years old, he is likely to vacate the area completely, so why so much emphasis on mistakenly shooting a button?

Granted, if I know the deer is a male, I will not shoot unless I intend to send it to the taxidemist. But shooting a button that you think is a doe and getting lambasted - come on.

Bob R.