Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Iowa land owner >

Iowa land owner

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Iowa land owner

Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Iowa land owner

well i have been talking to some of my neighbors that lease their land out. i asked them why and the top two answers are as fallows. #1 money to help with diff. things #2 so they don't have to deal with all the unethical scum bag hunters out there. think about it from a land owners point of view. you let some guy you never met before go onto your property and he cuts a fence or leaves garbage all over. he drives his truck threw your field after you told him not to. just because hes to lazy to drag his deer out. so getting to #2 it is easier to let some one lease it be it an outfitter or an individual that way you know the rules will be fallowed and you don't have to deal with it. because if they don't fallow the rules you just end the lease and try some one diff. some of the lease i have seen from diff land owners have it in the lease that states if the rules arebroken the lease will be null and voided and no refunds. they said they always get the money before the season starts. we as hunters need to remember that hunting private ground is a privilege not a right. my biggest pet peeve is when somebody stops and asks permission to hunt and i tell them no they get very pissed off. last year i had the window of our tractor shot out by someone trespassing when they were hunting. never caught the ass**** either. any ways that's just my two cents.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 PM

Default RE: Iowa land owner

well i have been talking to some of my neighbors that lease their land out. i asked them why
Simple. If someone is willing to pay $10-$12/acre for the right to hunt, they will take better careof the land, theoretically. I think most landowners would tell you that there is less headache with people that are willing to pay for the right to hunt. (Granted, there are always exceptions. The farm I currently hunt, used to be leased to guys that would cut through barbwire fences, go mudding on neighbor's property, etc. Needless to say, they were not offered another opportunity to lease the land.)

Old 12-30-2007, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, Mizzou, not all land gets leased to saints who will respect the property and adjacent land. You are often taking just as much of a chance as giving people permission to hunt. Someof those folks may be bad, but lots of others help to take care of things as good as many leasors. There are a number of people that i let hunt my land, but I wouldn't trust either of the two biggest leasors inmy area anywhere near it.

And, as I said in another thread, the lease money will, in some instance, be just enough to cover the crop damage if the people leasing the land are only interested in taking a couple big bucks off of it, and the does and young bucks are allowed to run wild. I don't think that too many people take that into account when someone waves a checkbook in their face though.But, with corn at almost 5 bucks a bushel, that is something to consider.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

I find it hilarious when someone says a hunter who leases will respect and take better care of the land.FarmersI know that do both say they can't tell any difference. It all depends on the individual hunter. Its pretty simple really, whether the land is leased by a hunter or a guy hunts by permission, there is always going to be the threat of trespassers. I will admit though that some of the worst at not respecting land is neighboring landowners or their kids. I know a few who disrespect the neighboring land and act as though they own it as well.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I find it hilarious when someone says a hunter who leases will respect and take better care of the land.FarmersI know that do both say they can't tell any difference. It all depends on the individual hunter. Its pretty simple really, whether the land is leased by a hunter or a guy hunts by permission, there is always going to be the threat of trespassers. I will admit though that some of the worst at not respecting land is neighboring landowners or their kids. I know a few who disrespect the neighboring land and act as though they own it as well.

Cougar you are 100% right! This bugs the heck out of me, my neighbors kids are much like that and there parents think its no big deal! My brother and I have had about enough, stuff better change!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

It's to bad but not every person who goes afield (leasing or not) with a gun or bow can be put on the good guy list. Like in every area of life, a few people have to ruin things for the majority. I'm 66 this year and have been hunting since I was 10 and have always been welcomed back when hunting private land. Thank God there are landowners who will still allow a person that doesn't have a thick wallet to hunt. I have been turned away by owners that don't know me and I don't blame them. After a bad experience it's hard to trust again!!! On some of those location I have made an attempt to get to know the land owner and allow them to get to know me, which has lead in a few cases to being given a chance. I'm still hunting those locations. Why is it so hard for those few to understand that you are a guest on someone elses property and that commom curtisies and respect goes a long way towards building a positive relationship, whereas a selfcentered egotistical attitude hurts everybody? That's my two cents, for what it worth!