Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

scent drags

Old 11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default scent drags

what is the best, and proper way of using scents drags, any tips??
Old 11-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent drags

Not sure if this is the so called "right way" ... but this is what I learned from my grandfather, who was an excellent trapper and a good hunter too. I make my scent drag from "home made" stuff' Cotton twine and a chunk of cleaned cotton T-Shirt. I collect urine from the bladders of deer I and my buddies take. I keep the excess in the freezer, taking out only what I need to make a sloppy drag-rag. I start the drag when I get to about 200-400 yards of my stand, and then leave it hanging near, up wind of me 50 - yards or so. I have had many bucks (and does) trail the scent line ... and even one bobcat. Most of the bucks have been immature. But a few have been nice ones. I also collect "wet" tarsal glands, storing them likewise. When the "rut" is on, I'll make a false scrape & overhead rub near my stand (where I can see it) and hang the tarsal close by as well. No way will I say that either of these are sure fire, but just as has been my experience with rattling and grunting, this seems to work sometimes.