Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Wicks and Drags???? >

Scent Wicks and Drags????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Wicks and Drags????

Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Host of Hosts

Default Scent Wicks and Drags????

Do you guys keep your scent wicks and reuse them? How about your scent drags? I used 2 wicks the other day and my drag was used 2 times this year. Do I wash out the drags and reuse them next year or toss them? They are the frayed rope sytle like a cat o nine tails. Just curious what everyone does with them.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Wicks and Drags????

Well, I don't pretend to be a biologist, but here is how I rationalize what I do:

Personally, I use Q-Tips instead of scent wicks. Why? Because they are cheap, biodegradable, and you can carry a seasons worth in a case the size of your wallet. They don't really waste much, and if you bend them at a 90 degree angle, hang perfectly on branches, or can be wedged into bark of trees.

Reason I don't reuse the drags or wicks is because I figure that a deer's nose is pretty powerful (duh). And I suspect that he can tell the difference between each doe's urine. Just like a human can tell different voices apart, or even mannerisms. I try not to mix the urine of one type of scent with that of another. Sort of like serving onions with apples... they tend to clash a bit. There are all sorts of enzymes and what not in urine that can go bad, or maybe intermix and heck who knows maybe scare off a whitetail. Its just not something worth taking a chance on I suppose. When it comes to washing scent drags... I'd just assume not. I'd rather have the clean and sterile Q-tip than have the chance of a chemical reaction a deer can smell with some sort of detergent and the lure I'm using.

Overkill... maybe.... but thats what I do.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 AM

I like the q-tip idea.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM

i use scent free cotton balls and kinda push them over the ends of tree branches... zip lock baggy them out at night, toss em.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use any type of scents.

My reasoning is, if you put your pee in a bottle and open it up in a month or two, it isn't gonna smell like it did when you put it in there. If you use a preservative, it's gonna add some odor too.

I know some have had good luck with it. ButI prefer to remain scent free and not have any foreign scents in the woods with me.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

One word=unscented tampons...they work great and have that little string on the end to hang em up! LOL
Old 11-04-2007, 12:05 PM

lol shadow... now i need to get a wife to go buy them for me....
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be a man and buy your own!!

I use cotton balls.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Host of Hosts

Interesting opinions....Thanks! The q-tip idea is a good one I never thought of that.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

i use the tampons, the tie nicely to a branch, not to bulk in the bag and all you need to do is tie it to a sitck if you want to drag it.

Quick Reply: Scent Wicks and Drags????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.