Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often does a deer call actually work for you? >

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How often does a deer call actually work for you?

I have not had much luck with any type of call here in upstate NY. I have had buck come within visual sight while bow hunting and have tried grunt calls. Most times they dont even look and go about their way. I have had better response with the Can type calls. It has at least had the deer stop and look in the direction that the sound is coming from. However, I have some friends that hunt not that far from where I do and have alot of luck with them. I guess I havent had the right buck in the right state of mind come by me yet. I still carry both, especially when bow hunting because you never know!
MIKE
Old 12-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have only called in 1 buck with a doe bleat over the years, but still keep trying. I have tried grunting after I have scared up a deer, but they always circle downwind and bust me. I am thinking of a new still-hunting tactic by grunting if I scare one up.. then tossing some doe scent where they will smell it before they smell me so I can get a shot. Anyone tried this?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

when the CAN first came out i didn't think it would work,3 years ago i decided to use it . every day i had does coming by my stand in the morning . the first morning i used the CAN the does came right to me ,wondered around then left. the second day i let them walk by,but the 3rd day i called again ,here they came. they walked under the tree,but one of them turn around and took off up a ridge like she had winded me. i used the can and i saw them coming back. this time they brought buck in with them. that year it seemed to work almost every time .

but the last years it hasn't worked near as well . its like rattling,doesn't work everytime but sometimes its great.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started carrying a "grunt" call probably 20 years ago. I have very littel confidence in this device. I am leaning towards saying that a Grunter, at least for me,is more or less dead weight.Maybe 5-6 times in 20 years I have bucks react in a productive manner to a grunt call. I'd say 4X that number I have hada negative reaction.

I have heard many a time deer grunt .... pushing does and during sparing. I think I am doing a decent imatation. Few years back, I even recorded myself to hear what I sounded like. Sounded OK to me ???

Just this past weekend I had a monsterstep out in front of me crossing a 100 yard long skideer path then dissapear. I mean a 20" + wide , tall, heavy beamed stud !!! Looked to be a 5x5. I picked him up again because he was wearing out sapplings as he walked away from me down the path.I could see the tops waving. He wasworking scrapes and rubs, but i ha no clean shot and the angle was 100% "rear end". Three limbs of a pine had my shot blocked for about 50 yards. He was about to slip into the woods. So I decidedwhy not? I softly grunted 3-4 times, imatating tending grunts in hopes he would turn around and ease back towards me. Instead, he stopped momentarily, looked back in my direction andthen busted out of there like he was shot out of a cannon !!!

I had a soft, constant NW windinto my face andI was 20' off the gorund. My into the stand trail was 180 degrees from where he stepped out, utilizing a shallow creek to cover the last 100 yards or so of my tracks. I cannot imagine he had detected me other than the grunt.I have no clue why he busted so. But you can bet I was dissapointed. I spooked a stud and I am guessing he will "remember" that. I wish now Ihad just sat quietly and hoped he came back out later in the day or another day.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

only had it work one time in the last 2 years, but the buck i called in was such a dandy, i carry at least my grunt call every time i go.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hey y'all. Is it possible that deer respond to calls more than we think, but most of the time they just circle downwind and smell ya? The ones I have scared up and then grunted at usually circle downwind then snort when they smell me. I am wondering if many of them that hear us grunt in the stand are quietly circling downwind. In some cases they may not have a route to circle downwind, and those are the ones that we sometimes get a shot at.

Obviously, the older/smarter they are the harder it is to call them in. The buck I called in was a 7 pointer and it was in the second rut.. so he made a mistake.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

My last two bowkill bucks were both called in blind. One with a grunt/roar and the otherwith a rattlebag/grunt/wheezeand are my two biggest to date. I'd have to say with all the success I've had over the years with calls that I'm a firm believer in their effectiveness but that being said, there are tons of variables that affect the success whencalling. Time of year, phase of rut, deer population/B to D ratio, volume of call, type of call, how many times you've used said call, etc, etc, etc. A call used wrong will do more harm to the huntthan not calling at all.