Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often does a deer call actually work for you? >

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default How often does a deer call actually work for you?

I ended up calling 2 deer in in 2 whole weeks of hunting. Deer calls seem for the most part useless in my opinion. What do you think?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often does a deer call actually work for you?

I've had the best luck with a bleat can. This year alone I had a six pointer come out within 5minutes from the last time I tipped the can. That was the first week in November. Sunday morning at 6:53 I had a small 8pt. come into the can. I filled my buck tag with him on public land.
During the rut I always use the bleat can and I always draga scent line to my stand to make it more realistic. I SWEAR BY THE CAN. Three years ago I killed another 8pt. from the very same stand and probably the very same time. If you hit the bleat can right at the time you can see well enough to shoot, that seems to be the best time to pull one out of the brush.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calling blind and having a deer show up..... not much luck. Seeing a deer out of shooting distance and giving them a couple grunts or bleats......... very successful.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM

You called in two deer in two weeks and you are complaining? That is two more deer than you would have seen otherwise. Blind calling is a shot in the dark but I have had it pay off many times. Calling to bring one in closer has also worked a ton for me. I wouldn't go hunting without my calls.

I have the same results as the two guys that posted above me. Love my calls...
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

called in and took 2 nice 8 points in 1 day this year. my fiances very first deer ever, and a very nice buck to boot, and a decent 8 point for me.
my fiances first deer
my buck

so yea i love my calls. never go in the deer woods without them
Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have only called one deer in with a call, and I have been using calls for 2 years now and only 1 deer respond. Not too good. Maybe its just me?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just about every time. I only use them during the peak of the rut though.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

I have only called one deer in with a call, and I have been using calls for 2 years now and only 1 deer respond. Not too good. Maybe its just me?
It sounds like it could be. There are DVDs to teach you how to call. If you call too loud you will scare the deer. Too softly and they won't hear it. It is a bit of a balancing act but well worth the trouble. For me, deer hunting would be much less fun and productive without using calls.

Blind calling I go sometimes weeks without any success. It takes the deer being around to hear it. Where you can really see it working is when you see a buck a long ways off and call to him which he appears to ignore. He then disappears then shows up at your stand 20 minutes later. Calling is much more fun when you see your target and adjust accordingly.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first started hunting, I called in maybe 3 deer in 5 years. Always during the rut, and my biggest whitetail buck was one of them.

The I bought a "deer flute" grunt call, and my success rate in calling in deer went waaaaay up. I called in probably a dozen of them this bow season alone, but I guess they're getting used to it because now that the rut is on, they don't seem to even hear or care about the call. Last year, I called in deer off and on nearly all season long, and the season before that was the same, and the season before that, and so on.

I've had a bleat can work before, but after I called in a mountain lion with one in SD, I get nervous when I use it now[8D].
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 PM

The very first time I used the primos bleat can this year ..the biggest buck I've ever seen while hunting (9 point) came in about 85 yards away from me..didnt come in closer than that..I was on a logging road and I think he was looking for the doe making the sound...that made me a believer..

anyways..since we are pretty much in the post rut here, will the estrous bleat cans still work? if so how may tips would you give it per session? 2 maybe 3? then wait 30 mins or so and repeat? I am going out tomorrow and debating on taking it with me..

Quick Reply: How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.