Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often does a deer call actually work for you? >

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM

Default RE: How often does a deer call actually work for you?

During the rut I use a bleat. Works very well.
Out of the rut I rattle, works better then for me. Maybe it's just random luck who knows.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have not had much luck with them.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM

Hello folks,
In my experience calling has only produced for me during the peak of the rut, during this time it works extremely well. I stick to a bleat can for exciting does in a group, or a primos grunter to excite a buck in his core territory. Recently while hunting a rub line I grunted in short bursts for maybe 4 to 6 times, every 15 minutes. This pattern produced a good 10 point that scored 151 7/8, he took me by surprise when he appeared out of no where 30 yards from my lean to from out of a draw, keep you head on a swivel.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call in mostly luck and less skill but I've almost always called deer in close enough to at least see....
Old 12-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I find that rattling doesn't work so well up in my area. As it appears to go by how many deer are here. WhenI am in a different area farther down in southern Maine I find them to work great. Whether i am grunting or rattling it appears to go by that rule of thumb. How many deer are in the area. I once showed my brother who was in the southern part of the state how the grunt will work. This was after he told me they didn't. We walked from his place just down the road a short ways where it was no hunting. I showed him how to grunt them in. We was standing on the side of the road looking at them at the edge of a field andI started grunting. They came within bow range from us before they stopped. he couldn't believe it. So yes during the right time of year depending on deer numbers in the area they do and will work for you.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

only had deer show up a few times during the 2 hot weeks in november and usually only dinkers or scrubbies. ive seen deer run from the can call too. ive calmed deer down with a grunt call . mixed results in general but always goes out to the stand with me.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 PM
bigcountry

I find you have to use grunts at the right time. During prerut, and rut, they work great on dominent bucks. But can run off a 4pt.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Spike

i've been watching some hunting videos here lately and i've seen a lot of the same calls being used .. Primos make both of the calls .. one is the Buck Roar and it's two calls in one, a grunt and a wheeze .. and they were using this call during the rut and it seemed to really work! the other is called The Long Can .. and it's a long doe bleat and they said that's great for the post rut because it will really attract bucks that are still looking to bread. i ordered both today so i can't wait for them to get here so i can have them ready for next year!
Old 12-14-2008, 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Just about every time. I only use them during the peak of the rut though.
You are kidding right? You must be one helluva caller.

I'd put my calling success at the other end of the spectrum. I've killed deer that way for sure, but it isn't the norm. It works just well enough for me to keep carrying the call, but I've had no where near the success that Rory speaks of.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Spike

Calls can definately work, but it takes the right deer on the right day. I think many people overestimate how far away a deer can hear you call. A deer that is on the move crunching through leaves at 60 yds will often take many grunts before he will even hear it. For this reason I find the can to be worthless. I'm sure some people have experienced some level of success with it, but I have trouble getting deer to hear it , even when they arent that far away. It is just seldom calm enough in the woods I hunt for the sound to carry very far. I also believe that the average blind caller scares more deer away than he calls in. Many deer and most mature deer will go downwind of the caller before coming to check it out. The caller will most often never know the deer was there. Many people who sit and call the entire hunt will claim every deer they see is because of their calling. If that was the case then they set up in a pretty poor spot. My opinion is many of the deer people claim to have called in were simply traveling through and never heard the call. Don't get me wrong, calls can definately work , especielly if you enjoy a good buck to doe ratio , I just don't think they work as often as some people claim.

Quick Reply: How often does a deer call actually work for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.