HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - late season deer hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 AM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: late season deer hunting

In late season hunting,unless the "late rut" is in,all you're going to do by using doe in estrous bleating or doe in estrous pee is going scare them away. Anytime you use something like that out of the actual rut is simply educating them-especially the big bucks that have been around. It MIGHT work 1/4 of the time or less. I've found that using a fawn in distress call instantly turns on the maternal instincts and calls the does in quite a bit of the time,and it works any time-wether the does have ever dropped fawns or not. This is also a useful call to try and relax does that busted you a little but only by sound or sight-once they smell you,game over. I've even had does to come back in a BUNCH of times under these conditions.
Another thing to remember is once you invade a big buck's bedroom,you'd better get him before he realizes you're there,otherwise you've just succeded in making him totally change bedding areas. That's why I don't like to hunt bedding areas because most of the time,all you'll do is push him to another area. Big bucks almost act like a different species. Naturally I'm mostly talking about bowhunting only as when hunting with high power rifle or muzzleloader,you'll be able to get by with more simply due to the longer range they offer and because you don't have to pattern them near as close to be successful.

ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman
Hunt food sources, find the trails leading to them and set up on the trails. If you are after a big buck, stay further back from the food source and closer to his bedding area, but if you are just after meat, hunting closer to the food source is better. Dont forget to lightly rattle a little bit too and even the occasional doe in estruse bleat.