Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Suggestions?  Having trouble figuring Deer out. >

Suggestions? Having trouble figuring Deer out.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Suggestions? Having trouble figuring Deer out.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Spike

Default Suggestions? Having trouble figuring Deer out.

My father and I are hunting a small piece of property that is between a neighborhood and river. (See Image). We've seen the deer in this area. We have pictures from the trail cameras. They just have very sparratic patterns and as of right now have only come in at night after sundown. Our trail cameras pick them up at 6:00 - 6:30pm and they only seem to pass through 2 or 3 times a week. Of course not the days we are out there or able to get out there.

It's almost as if they spend all their time in the property South of the border (possible food plot or better food sources) and come up to this property for a change of scenery.

I would just like to ask if anyone with more knowledge of deer behavior could offer some advise as to what we might be able to do different to finally harvest a deer from this property.

Additional informaiton - there is no water source in the woods where we have the stands - only food. No other food source for them in these woods other than the corn we're putting out. We have not seen any tracks around the pond so they are not using that as a water source. Any oaks or pin oaks have lost their nuts prematurely (Hurricane Gustav). There's plenty of grass to graze on. We are not seeing any signs of deer scat on the trails. With the exception of where our stands are these woods are new growth. The land was cleared for expansion but never expanded. So there are a lot of small sapplings from 3 - 8 years old.

Thanks

Legend:

Red - Property Border
White Line - Deer Activity/Tracks/Trails
White Circle - Known bedding areas
Yellow - Corn Feeders
Green - Stands/Blind