Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having trouble finding deer in peep >

Having trouble finding deer in peep

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having trouble finding deer in peep

Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Spike

Default Having trouble finding deer in peep

I consider myself a good shot with a bow. It is easy to pull back and spot the big white target in my peep. However, I have a real problem finding the deer in my peep when I am ready to shoot. Especially when it is close to me. When I finally do find it, I have trouble finding the vitals region that I want to shoot at. I just don't have good vision through the peep. I switched to the largest peep I can find. I shoot with one eye open.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is there amethod you guys use to quickly find the sweet spot on a deer through your peep?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Having trouble finding deer in peep

ORIGINAL: mufan

I consider myself a good shot with a bow. It is easy to pull back and spot the big white target in my peep. However, I have a real problem finding the deer in my peep when I am ready to shoot. Especially when it is close to me. When I finally do find it, I have trouble finding the vitals region that I want to shoot at. I just don't have good vision through the peep. I switched to the largest peep I can find. I shoot with one eye open.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is there amethod you guys use to quickly find the sweet spot on a deer through your peep?
curious, what size is your peep?
have you tried using BOTH eyes?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

I will have both eyes open untillI need to aim and shoot. Once I pull down on a deer and get the bow on them, then I close the other eye and get my aim. I dont know if you understand what im saying, I dont know how to exsplain it. Thats what works for me anyway. GL
Old 10-31-2007, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are so intent on the deer that you can't seem to get the bow in front of you correctly. It's like you can't let the bow get in the way of your view.
Does that sound familiar at all? It's just nervous anxiety when you are drawing on that deer then. If this is what's happening then you just need to close your eyes for a second and draw with good form. If you do it the same as in practice, that peep will line up for you. Summing it up, your drawing differently when your target is a deer.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

I struggled, but learned to shoot with both eyes open becausewas having a similar problem. I got a new pair of bifocals this year which made it very difficult to focus on the target and my pins with one eye. With only one eye, either the target or my pin was blurry unless I moved my head up & down to find that focus point.It took me about a month to train my brain to keep both eyes open when I aim. Another big advantage is being able to see your arrow. It isa tough habbit to break. I only hope when it comes time to draw on a deer, my brain will remember to open that left eye!
GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

mu--your problem above is why I took my peep sight off last year. I have shot 3 deer without my peep sight and have had no problems...the longest shot was 25 yards, so maybe I would start feeling the effects of no peep sight say if I got out past 30 yards, not sure.

vashadow
Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to learn to shoot with both eyes open...You have better depth perception by doing this, doesn't matter what weapon, keep both open...

I don't use a peep, just 2 nocks to help center the nock...Set your bow up for hunting, not target shooting...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I delt with peeps in the past. My last peep I had on my bow was awesome. It was a cube of the green plaxi glass like your sight. The back except for the ring around the whole was painted black. It was awesome, unfortunately I lent my old bow to my nephew and for some reason it was taken off. Big mistake.

I now use a Red Dot Scope. It's faster to set up, quicker to get aim on the vitals and get the shot off. No peep required and it's very deadly.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot with both eyes open but I suspect that it may not be your eyes causing the problem. The problem might be your mouth is open. When shooting at targets you don't have any adrenalin flowing, you are breathing normally and fairly relaxed. Put a deer in front of you/me/anyone, your heart starts to race, you start breathing heavy and your mouth drops wide open to suck up more air. When your jaw drops, your anchor point gets screwed up and all of a sudden your peep isn't lined up and everything is out of wack.
This has happened to me, I drew on a deer and it felt like I had someone else's bow, nothing felt right until I figured out to close my mouth and breath through my nose. Just one of those things that is difficult to practice and something to be aware of when out hunting.

Quick Reply: Having trouble finding deer in peep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.