Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble. >

I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:06 PM

Default I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

I recently completed a second surgery on my right shoulder and the doc told me I needed too switch too a rifle less abrasive if u know what I mean so I picked up a .243 because it doesnt have much kick. I hunt whitetails, but I will most likely never have a shot over 150 yards, usually 75 or less up here in northern mn. I know alot of u dont like .243 for deer hunting but It wasnt my first choice but thats what I ended up with. What grain and what style bullet do u recomend.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

This may sound crazy, but given the parameters you have just listed, I would load up some 100 grain semi pointed sierras at 2500 fps and go out and shoot deer. This load should kill deer all day long at the ranges you suggested and have very little recoil. I feel your pain, I love to shoot large rifles, but have an ailing shoulder as well.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:07 PM

Default RE: I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

I'd recommend the Federal Premium load with the 100gr. Nosler Part. bullet, or the
newer Remington 100gr. Core-lok Ultras. Either in .243Win. should do he job.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:54 AM
Fork Horn

Don't feel your undergunned at all. I have shot a lot of michigan whitetails with the 243. The federal premium loadings are really hard to beat. Either the 100gr Sierra SBT or the Nosler partition are great bullets. My Browning abolt really likes the sierra SBT and the combination has accounted for a lot of venison dinners. If you handload take a hard look at the Swift 90gr Scirrocco, or 105gr speer,I've heard really good things about those bullets also.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started using a 243 Win after some surgery and have had very good results using the Barnes 85 gr X bullet on deer and antelope . I talked to a Hornady tech and that was the weight he recommended .
Old 10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

100 gr Nosler partitions or the rem core lokt ultra, whichever shoots best. you aren't under gunned, as long as you take broadside to slightly quartering shots.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry to hear about the shoulder sugery but I am sure you will do fine with your rifle. Judging by cartridge sales, it is a keeper. Heh, heh.... you must be going through some physical therapy.

Know how many physical therapists it takes to shingle a roof?? Just 1 if you slice him thin!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .243 is a very good, very capable minimum caliber for any Whitetail deer!
Any good bullet in 100 grains should do fine! The Federal Premie's would be my choice!
Good luck, and sorry to hear about your shoulder!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

100 grain round nose or the Nosler Partition. Thats the only two bullets that I ever had any consistant performance from with the 243. I never tried the Barnes X bullets. Got rid of the 243's. I feel your pain in the shoulder. I have a real bad shoulder and it does not appear that it is repairable. I had to get rid of all my hard kickers as well. I now shoot the 6.5x55.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had excellent results with a Sierra GameKing 100 grain bullet. I had shoulder trouble awhile back too and went with a 243 Win over my usual 300 Win Mag. The 243 Win layed them on the ground just as dead. However, if I had it to do all over again I would have bought my 7mm-08 Rem earlier and used it with 120 grain bullets instead.

Quick Reply: I recently picked up a .243 for deer hunting due too some shoulder trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.