Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 having trouble figuring out what to plant.... >

having trouble figuring out what to plant....

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

having trouble figuring out what to plant....

Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 PM

Default having trouble figuring out what to plant....

i am a first time food plotter
im having trouble figuring out what to plant for my food plot. im going to send in for a ph test as soon as all the snow we got melts. i have a little bit of red clover already growing up in one of the fields we have. im going to plant 2 plots in 2 fields. they are pretty close to eachother. both fields are easily accessible with my tractor and 4 wheeler.
i plan on planting this spring and dont care if its an annual or perrenial. i need a plant that is relatively easy to plant, (i have a tractor w/ bucket and 4 wheeler, a plow, fertilizer/seed spreader, bushhog, i can borrow a disk and cultipackter,,,,so equipment isnt really a proble) hardy to cold and heat, lasts long, and most importantly deer are really attracted to it, works well in different types of soil.
any information would be great.
thanks mossbergman11
Old 03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: having trouble figuring out what to plant....

Well first off, if plan on planting something this spring for sure. You won't get your options until you have your soil test results. Then your going to have to decided from there based on the test. The most important part of your test is how acidic your soil is. If you have certain plants in mind, and your soil shows will need significant amounts of lime, you may want to change your plans. I always lime in the fall, to allow it to get well down into the soil from the snow melt In spring Ifertilize, and plant. Its a longer planning process but always pays off with a well grown food plot & sweet plants. I personally like Alfa-rack myself. The deer hammer it hard in fall, and well into the winter. Each spring I find alot of deer crap in it from winters use.
You may want to consider planting 1 field witha annual, or perenial that'll work for your soil. Then prep the other field for the following spring with something else. Just a thought!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

well i need to decide what to plant before i get a ph test.
http://mossyoakbiologic.com/pdf/soilsample.pdf
go there.......im doing this ph test and it says "crop to be grown" and i think i have put something down for that
Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

well i need to decide what to plant before i get a ph test.
http://mossyoakbiologic.com/pdf/soilsample.pdf
go there.......im doing this ph test and it says "crop to be grown" and i think i have put something down for that
what should i put down for this if i dont know what im planting?
Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check OTHER!!!
Does Ohio have Co-op's you can go to for help?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM

nope i dont think so
Old 03-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Prolly a dumb question, but how do you go about getting a ph test
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 PM

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

Prolly a dumb question, but how do you go about getting a ph test
first, go there and print out the form from mossy oak
http://mossyoakbiologic.com/content....p;section=none
to get the actual samples is this:
Here is howI do it, and I do one sample for each plot. I get a container, usually a sandwich sized zip lock bag. I put a name on it in black magic marker, something like "Plot #1, big field". Then I take another ziplock and put a label on that "Plot #2, Honey Hole". THen I go to my plots, dig down a couple of inches in to the dirt, and put some dirt into the ziplock bag for that plot. I do this in 4 or five spots within the plot. I try not to get any vegetation in the bag. Then I take the other bag and go to the other plot and do the same thing. Now I have two labeled ziplock bags filled with dirt. It is important that you use a clean trowel or shovel when you dig the dirt so you do not contaminate the sample with chemicals that are on the trowel/shovel. With the dirt in the ziplock bag, I try to mix it around pretty good so the sample is evenly distributed in the bag. this will give an average for ph and nutrients within the food plot. Now once i am home, I lay out on the table two sandwich sized ziplock bags that are labeled and contain dirt. Next I fill out the soil sample information sheet. On the Biologic shet, if you look in the top right corner of the information part, right above "Crop to be grown" in the grey shaded area, it says "Field Name or Number - DO NOT LEAVE BLANK-" I will put in that box "Plot #1, big field". The where it asks what I intend to grow in that field, I will check that box. IF it is corn and soybeans, I will put down Bio-Maxx, which is the Biologic mix of corn and soybeans. I will fill out the same information on another sheet for the other sampl, and lable that under Field Name or Number "Plot #2, Honey Hole". Now I have two soil samples in labeled sandwich sized zip lock bags, and two information sheets. I will now get 2 gallon sized ziplock bags. I put on the front of one, "Plot #1, Big Field" and on the other "Plot#2, Honey Hole". Open the gallon sized bag,put in the information sheet and soil sample ziplockfor "Plot #1, Big Field"into the gallon sized ziplock and seal it. Now the soil sample and information are contained within the same bag. The information and soil sample stay together. Then I take the other gallon ziplock and add the soil sample sandwich sized ziplock and infromation sheet to it. now i have 2 gallon sized ziplocks that each contain a sample and information sheet. I can put both into a mailer envelope or box and send them to the Biologic LAb at the same time and not have to worry about them mixing the sample witht he wrong information. I have sent in as many as 4 samples at the same time. Or you can send the soil sample and information sheet in its own mailer, one at a time. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot. This spring is going to be my first attempt at a food plot, this info should help a bunch
Old 03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

Go to your local ag extension service, they charge 5.00 for a soil test. The reason they are asking what you are planting is so they can advise you what you need to amend the soil with before you plant. You can do 2 things here. Get the test and see what is necessary for what you want to plant, and amend the soil and wait. Or you can figure out what you want to plant and amend the soil accordingly and plant a green manure crop in the meantime. This is just a temporary crop that you can grow while you are waiting for the lime to hit your soil and work in to the soil chemistry. Just buy some cheap fast growing crop that will grow in whatever ph your soil has at the time of the test. It might not grow great but it will keep the soil intact while you wait for all the tilled in nutrients to kick in. If you dont care about the temporary arrangement just put your lime, etc down and let the natural weeds grow, as long as there is nothing crazy invasive in there.

When the time comes to plant, figure 120 days or so for the lime to settle in, just till again and everything that was growing in there will be tilled in to the soil column. As it decomposes it will release anything it took from the soil back in and actually improve the soil structure by adding organic matter. This will help retain moisture during droughty times.

Quick Reply: having trouble figuring out what to plant....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.