Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Small Deer

Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small Deer

ORIGINAL: slsail

I was at the Butcher/processor last night.
to drop off a deer.
guy brings in 5 deer Biggest 109lbs
The smallest 59lbs!!!!!! I say Idiot.
I am sure he is a work this morning saying they got 5 deer this weekend. (yeah all the size of dogs))

Why would you shoot a deer that small. size of a german shepard.

This is my daughters first hunting season.
I don't care if it was 10 yards away i would not let her shoot something that small.
Any thoughts.

I'm not one to question others hunting practices. If it's legal they can do as they please. I've taken my share of 100-110lb deer and they are the best to eat. Although I wouldn't shoot one thats the size of a dog to each his own.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

"As was said earlier, venison is one of the most expensive meats per lb. you will come buy. "

I dont know how you all come up with you figures. I t is nt that expensive for me. Actually all it cost me anymore is gas money.

"I have some people ask me for some deer meat sometime and I will tell them how much do you want It cost about $100.00 per pound!!! "

I pay nothing close to $100.00 per pounnd.

I have a lifetime license. I live 15 minutes tops from my hunting spot. Its family land. I dont lease it. I process my own deer. I dont have to buy weapons every year. I have plenty of hunting close.I dont use scents.So all I have out is gas money
Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jim1966

"As was said earlier, venison is one of the most expensive meats per lb. you will come buy. "

I dont know how you all come up with you figures. I t is nt that expensive for me. Actually all it cost me anymore is gas money.

"I have some people ask me for some deer meat sometime and I will tell them how much do you want It cost about $100.00 per pound!!! "

I pay nothing close to $100.00 per pounnd.

I have a lifetime license. I live 15 minutes tops from my hunting spot. Its family land. I dont lease it. I process my own deer. I dont have to buy weapons every year. I have plenty of hunting close.I dont use scents.So all I have out is gas money
Look at the rest of my post. I said it iscostly if you don't butcher yourself. He did not butcher themhisself. Therefore he had about$60-$75 dollars in butcher bill for a deer thatwill produce about 20lbs of meat (40% of a deer that dressed out at 59 lbs)+ license+travel+odds/ends like ammo. He will easily have$100 in20lbs of meat which equals $5/lb, which is 2-3X the cost of beef.

As far as all the other stuff you said that doesn't cost much: They are hardto come up with, but the cost of you gun will be carried out per deer killed. The cost of your land you boughtshould have a figure and the cost of your lifetime license has a figure not to mention hunting clothes (I would say 98% of hunters, I made that up but think its close, have hunting specific clothes that have no other use) and cleaning supplies for aguns.

I know people will say that the license cost is minimal cause you are able to go outso much with it. I say BS, cuz you can go out hunting without a license, you just have to carry a camera, not a gun. The license is only used to take game. Land that you own, while it serves other uses just put the cost/lb outta sight. Just saying deer meat is very expensive even in your situation.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the deer were legal, then that is his choice. I've shot a lot of smaller deer, havn't shot one in years, but if I wanted to shoot one then I'm not going to want criticism from somebody else about it.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

A 59 pounder is a heck of a lot easier to get out of the woods and a whole lot more tender than a big one.If I wanted one for eating I would look at it good and try to make sure it wasn't a button buck and let the fur fly and carry it out like a suitcase.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

The smaller, the better they taste.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Spike

well, I recently took a 95 lb. spike and put 50 lb. of meat in the freezer.

I'm happy.

'nuff said.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Fork Horn

I dont see anything wrong with taking out small deer. This year I have been more selective. but only because i have more time to hunt.. I have on many occasions in the past set my sights on the smallest of 3 doe's.. and will most likely do so again. face it.. the younger they are.. the more tender they are period! Maybe people should not concern themself with the preference of others so much.. and as to him taking it to be processed... so what.. its his money let him spend it as he wants.. I took a deer to a processer for the first time this year.. and I got to be honest... now that i see just how much better the cuts are.. I am thinking of taking all my deer to him. even if it is the size of a poodle lol ... there now have fun with that.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people don't have a whole lot of time to hunt. That may only have a chance to hunt one or two days a year. That's not a lot of time to fill your freezer.

Or maybe he's like me. This year I've killed four deer, the biggest is about 120 pounds and the smallest is about 60 pounds. I've gone two years without pulling the trigger on anything and I'm sick of it. I got so frustrated that I almost quit hunting because it had basically turned into a fruitless exercise in patience and cold tolerance. Sitting and spending all my time and money waiting on a buck that isn't there is not how I want to spend this season too. So I got back to my roots and started taking the deer that I would be happy with and that gave me a good shot. They're all trophies to me. And as a plus, since I've been taking the doe's out, I've actually seen three times as many bucks as I saw in years past.

Hunting is personal and can be whatever you make of it. If you're not happy shooting does, then don't shoot them. But don't knock a guy who is.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

I love to kill yearling does and i dont see a problem with it. Yet if these deer are button bucks and young bucks there is a problem. I strongly believe in QDM and harvesting young does. They are easier to drag out and there isnt anythingbetter thanyoung tasty backstraps. I try to thin my doe herd on my hunting grounds, it also makes room for bucks to move in and grow. The only problem i see with it is it is hard to believe he killed 5 yearling does. If he did he is a better hunter than me.