Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

This Makes Me Sick.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Default RE: This Makes Me Sick.

The plastic bags upset me far worse than a biodegradable carcass. Fifty yards out of sight, and away from your stand/blind,as long as it's not on public land, is fine with me.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

You would be suprised at how many gut piles I have left in the woods after gutting a deer to make it lighter to drag out. I have returned to the stand two days later and the mess is scavengered. Its gone and to be honest I have killed a deer at the same time a gut pile was in sight of my kill. The nature of that stuff in the woods feeds the food chain, and sure isnt going to affect the deer.

Carcasses area different case. I dispose mine in places out of sight and where othersdo not hunt. Buzzards pick them clean in a day and the yotes, foxes, and even bear will deveour them within a day our two leaving only a skeleton. This usually gets dragged off out of site by dogs or yotes.

Sides of roads is just lack of commonsense and irrisponsible to the land owner or neighbors who have to see them. Dump them out of site and let mother nature and the food chain dispose of them
Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM

I solved this a long time ago...its called a deer processor. Plus I find I use MUCH more of the meat when its all fixed up and packaged nice. Worth every thin red dime if you ask me.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have Valley Protein come pick up all of the left over deer parts. We barrel them up and move them to the side of the path and they pick them up. We used to have a gut field that we had a big hole in and dumped them there and covered it with wood. That has been years ago. I do not think that it is that hard to do the right thing with the left overs. Some of the things listed gives antis ammo.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I'd have to agree with Hoyt 100%. Mother Nature can do her thing with no harm caused by the hunter.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I used to think that way too until an old farmer climbed my butt because the huge skinned out boar coon carcass that i left on his property a half mile from his house ended up getting dragged into his front year by his dog. Its also amazinghow far even a relatively small dog can drag a deer head and two or three feet of backbone. But if you are just out in the country for a few days during deer season you tend to not notice stuff like that, but the folks living there do and sometimes they have a long memory. When in doubt, bury it.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a spot that people were dumping there deer fight on the road. There was a brown tarp and like 4 mostly deboned deer on top, some of them only had half of there hind quarters cut off. They were taking up almost half of the road too.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a problem with gut piles in the woods, but gut pules in garbage bags on the side of the road, that bothers me. As far as how leaving gut piles effects deer, I don't know if it does that much. My brothers father-in-law told me he watched a deer step in a gut pile he'd left earlier in the day. He said that the doe just sniffed the pile and casually went about her business, which was to walk right into his shooting lane. Her gut pile joined the one she'd stepped in a few seconds earlier. I leave my gut piles in the woods. Something will eat it soon enough, and what isn't eaten will bio-degrade into dirt before the trees fill out the next spring anyway.

Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Why do people think creek beds are the place to throw carcasses? Just toss them in the woods!! Don't contaminate water with carcasses!
I agree. A guy around here slaughtered a cow and he dumped the entrails on state land in a swamp. Some hunter turned him and and now he has to pay to have all the wells tested in the area. It's gonna cost him big bucks.