Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

public land sucks

Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: public land sucks

80% of my hunting is on public land in Arizona and California, I have just learned over the years if I want to avoid people and possible run-ins with others...is to get as far away as I can from everyone and everything...there's a ton of public land to do that on in California and Arizona.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Public land is terribly misunderstood. Follw DannyD's advice and use those feet. I have a wall full of nice bucks that have almost all came from public land. You can look at a good map and tell real quick where the deer will be the hunters wont....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Spike

Danny D

your right ------------ something ain't right!!

These guys would come in off of their parents 5 acres and they don't buy any MS license.
How I know------------
Spoke with one of them 2 summers before, while scouting, really nice guy----he had me fooled. The reason that I told dad that I was going to shoot back is because that person I spoke to shot towards me and I could feel the concusion. That is what really scared me.
I was wrong about not seeing them again during hunting season, the next season rolled around and the first idiot in the story come walking in on me again. I got down and confronted him (while he was by himself) abd I told him that they don't know just how close that they come to being killed and that I will not stop from shooting the next time.
This confrontation happened at my atv where he was standing, when I finally caught up.
He never said a word, turned and walked off, not to ever see him or his idiot friends again.
We have been taking good deer in this forrest for going on 9 yrs. Jimmy ( hunting bud) took a 142" 8pt---awsome for national forrest in north mississippi.

Good luck and God bless you and yours-----
Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lucky_shot

i got in the woods late this morning due to the flat tire and hunted from 8:30 to dark. at 4pm "prime hunting time" 3 guys walk into the field i was in. as they come in i see one of the guys point directly at me the one other guy shrug his shoulders and they all started to walk in. 2 of them cut through the woods behind me and the other guy walks through the middle of the field to the other end and climbs up a old stand. not 10 minutes after the guys went behind me i heard 6 shots, and 5 minutes later they walk back out to the field from where they went in and just stood in the corner of the field. this really pissed me off so i walked over to ask them why they would stand out in the open and shoot the chit while i'm tryin' to hunt. when i got to them i asked if they made ita habbit of F****** up someone's hunt, they played dumb and acted like they didn't know what i was talking about. i asked them what they were shooting at and the younger guy told me "it had tines just not 3 on one side" this pissed me off even worse. they screw up my hunt to shoot illegal deer? i told them i had been there all day and was leaving because the deer wouldn't come anywhere near this field because of all the traffic that shows up in the best hunting hours, and again the younger guy sticks his foot in his mouth..."yeah no doubt" i just laughed and said i'm talking about the 3 of you!

i thought about calling my local game and fish officer, but i don't want to be a tattle tail. looking back i wish like hell i would have called him.
The bad thing is, its like that every where.
3 years ago I had a nice turkey shot out from under me, while I was calling him in.
Then he walks right to me and shows it to me.
The thing is he had just as much right to be there as I.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Spike

Here in New England I try not to hunt public/state land. Especially in shotgun season..LOL.. You have everyone and thier cousin out thinking they are a hunter and I dont want to be mistaken for a deer.. Then again not everyone has private land to hunt on.. If you have to hunt public, get as far away from everyone else as you can, Lots of usefull information in this thread about how to go about it..
Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to true hunting at its finest.

public land can and will ALWAYS be harder than any private land hunting......as everyone has said, get away from road or find another spot. don't be the lazy one..... you may feel frustrated because if it is public than you should be able to hunt it and should not have to go other places...i know i was!! but trust me...deer are not dumb, they too will go away from roads, deep in canyons, and stay away from retards like those mentioned.....so yes, you will have to work a little harder for your deer, walk further, hunt longer, etc...but there will be no other hunters to mess up your hunt, no one to shoot in your direction.... and the key to it all....... you will see MANY times the amount of game you would see sitting in a corn field next to your truck
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM

me and my dad were turkey hunting and were sittin under a pine tree calling and next thing we know this dumbass shooting at sounds shoots right in front of us (bullet hitting right in front of me) nearly hittin me and me and my dad both went off on him!
there are a bunch of dumb people that i think shouldn't be allowed in the woods but still yet they are out there!!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Spike

I hunt public land...almost exclusively. I have shot a number of good deer off of it as well. The thing you have to do is go where the others ain't. I know that sounds difficult at times, but I go where no one would think of walking through. I go into the woods and have my stand so deep in the thick of everything that no one would want to be near my stand.

That is how I get my deer!