Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

public land sucks

Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: public land sucks

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Not to apologize for the behavior of the other hunters, but has it occurred to you that walking into the woods at 8:30 might not have been too popular with any other guys who might havegotten out there before dawn?[&:]
there was no other vehicles at the gate or i would have found another spot. they clearly saw my truck beings they parked right next to me.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Must be an awfully small piece of public ground if everyone else is supposed to stay away because one vehicle is parked there. Of course, that's assuming that a lack of vehicles actually means no hunters are in the woods by 8;30. Not trying to pick, just making the case that it is easy to point fingers. i do agree that they wereroyal clowns based on how they acted once they got into the woods.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

thats why you have to search for those places on public land where hunters won't walk to. The lazy people will walk a short distance, you have to put some effort in and walk that mile to get in deep. Deer know where those places are, and you should also.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

if the tables were turned and i entered a field where someone was already hunting i would have moved on to another location and not taken the chance of being "mistaken" for a deer!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Spike

there is some great hunting on public land, bow hunt all year and might see a squirrel hunter every once in a while. Gun season is a little different.
98% of the time, most people will accidentaly walk up on you.the other2% will ruin it for you. That 2% is usually idiots.
Alot of Memphis, TN people hunt on the public lands here in MS. Most are supper folks but there is those bad apples (2%) that gives these follow good hunters from Memphis a supper bad name around here.
I wish that I had the time to tell you about these "idiots" that accually pointed the rifle at me, left, come back with more friends, armed with one deer rifle, sawed off pistol grip pump shotgun and a sks. They were hollowing "there he goes" and then start firing every direction while walking a circle around us. that is the scarest that i have ever been---knocked off the safty and told my dad (on the radio) that i'm going to kill these guys.
I ended up not squeazing the trigger. Soon after they headed out still shooting, I heard a young kid scream, "STOP YOU JUST SHOT THE TREE I'M SETTING BESIDE".
You can only amagine how that made me feel. Things run through my head--if I would have just shot one or two of them, that would not have happened to the young person.
God took care of all of us and I have yet to see those idiots back.
You will find more better than good out there, so good luck.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twoshotlaw

there is some great hunting on public land, bow hunt all year and might see a squirrel hunter every once in a while. Gun season is a little different.
98% of the time, most people will accidentaly walk up on you.the other2% will ruin it for you. That 2% is usually idiots.
Alot of Memphis, TN people hunt on the public lands here in MS. Most are supper folks but there is those bad apples (2%) that gives these follow good hunters from Memphis a supper bad name around here.
I wish that I had the time to tell you about these "idiots" that accually pointed the rifle at me, left, come back with more friends, armed with one deer rifle, sawed off pistol grip pump shotgun and a sks. They were hollowing "there he goes" and then start firing every direction while walking a circle around us. that is the scarest that i have ever been---knocked off the safty and told my dad (on the radio) that i'm going to kill these guys.
I ended up not squeazing the trigger. Soon after they headed out still shooting, I heard a young kid scream, "STOP YOU JUST SHOT THE TREE I'M SETTING BESIDE".
You can only amagine how that made me feel. Things run through my head--if I would have just shot one or two of them, that would not have happened to the young person.
God took care of all of us and I have yet to see those idiots back.
You will find more better than good out there, so good luck.

Something just aint right!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, public land does suck, but I don't have the luxury of owning land or havings friends that do.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM

JESUS CHRIST! ok so ive never hunted before, so instead of heading out this year im gonna wait till next year to read up and get a better feel for hunting. but you guys are making me not wanna go hunt on public land (only choice). not cause of the ass holes but in fear that ill be the ass hole. but atleast i got some good advice from you guys. scout the area ahead of time, find your spot DEEP, get in my tree EARLY, and most of all SHUT THE F@@@ UP. lol thanks for the knoledge
Old 11-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not all public land is bad, its just certain areas. My dad shot a very nice 11 pointer on public land, but that was 14 years ago...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Never hunted public land before. But in any case everyone should remember when faced with this kind of situation. Usually both parties have fire arms. Politeness & Respect for all you meet in these situations should always be used.

It is always better to not see deer then to get a hole placed in an area of your body there shouldnt be one.

Quick Reply: public land sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.