Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Please help out a newbie.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please help out a newbie.

Im going up to my property to hunt it for the first time on sunday.... Ive been scouting it over the year. I found 2 pretty awesome spots. One spot is a highly traveled area with apple trees in it. The only thing about this spot is that there are no good trees in the area to put my climber on. It is also pretty thick and there and I would be ground hunting with a bow.I put my camera in this area and thebatteries died within the first 2 hours because they were old. In these 2 hours thoughI capture 2 does.The next area I found is right before I field. Its following a ravine ridge and there are 2 or 3 good rubs. I havent had the chance to put my camera out in this area. And am not too sure about the deer in the area.But the good thing about the second area is that there are plany trees to choose from for my climber. What area do you think I should try out first? Im leaning towards the spot with the rubs because I do not really like to ground hunt, especially with a bow. If I go in the area with the rubs, should I rattle or use a doe bleat.... Or does it not really matter? Please feel free to share any tips. This is my third year out(im 14) and still have not been able to shoot a deer. I would really love to be able to take one this up coming weekend. I appreciate the help!
Mike
Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM

Default RE: Please help out a newbie.

Hunt the rubs. Hang some buck urine and just sit there. I would set up down wind of the rubs. Those bucks will treat a rub like a scrape because they are territorial. They leave sent on the trees they horn and if they think an intruder is in they're neck of the woods that might be the ticket. Don't give up on hunting off the ground. This time of year if you've got does, your gonna have the bucks. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

So do you think I should rattle and grunt as well as laying down some buck urine?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

I would hunt the rubs, maybe put outs some doe pee or somthing. Sit for a couple of hours if you do not see anything I might rattle a little. I know when I was younger iwasnot very patient, just sit still and the deer willcome. When you hear something, it is probablay not a dear so do not swing your head to look at it, move slowly. Good luck
Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

the rubs first with urine and little calling

in the apple trees find a tree to put a hang-onstand up as high as you feel comfortable
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM

I wouldn't go in guns blazing trying to rattle at first light. Just sit tight for a couple of hours and see what happens. After that, there is nothing wrong with being aggressive. Sometimes you have to make your own luck. Whatever you do, don't complicate things to where its not fun. I helped my buddy pull a 130 class 8 point out last night and seeing his reaction to his deer was as good as me shooting one. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

bump.... im going up tommarow. Since im not sure if the bucks are still using the rubareaor not still... Im probably going to find a tree leading into and out of the apple tree area... What do you all think? I still have not been able to take a deer yet so I dont really care if its a buck or a doe.