Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 putting up a new stand need help >

putting up a new stand need help

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

putting up a new stand need help

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Default putting up a new stand need help

ive never been to this new area and i just want to know some ways to get deer to your stand i live in NC so its llegal to bait them i normaly use corn. Any other ideas?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: putting up a new stand need help

Most times you need to put up a stand where you think the deer are traveling. Look for trails or funnels that the deer will use as a travel route and set up near that spot.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM

thats where i had it at before was at a funnel and i had alot of deer come in but non of them were of any shooting size
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM

A funnel or where several trails come together is a good place to start. Since you are not seeing any goodbucks I would this.... Sometimes if the hunting pressure is heavy , or the big ol' bucks are skittish, they may not use the trails the does use, but they may walk downwind of the doe trails to scent check the area for does. In my area the hunting pressure is heavy and the good bucks usually don't travel the same trails the does do, except during the peak rut chasing a hot doe. I have seen alot of bucks 30-60yds.traveling paralell and downwind of the main trails.

Hope this helps!!

Alan
Old 11-06-2008, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

look for oak tree's that are dropping acorns. then find the travel routes that the deer are using to get to their food source. this travel route will probally be between the feeding and bedding area's which is a good place for a stand.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:32 PM

thats where i had it near oak trees at a funnel lots of deer they were just all 2 and 4 pointers. and living in NC means the deer never get much bigger than a dog so its no fun but im moving my stand to another county by a feild that last year was soy beans and this year its corn and its next to a small airport and has little to no hunting pressure since 92
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I live in NC and the deer arent very big you really have to be on your game. the main thing to find is food water and thick cover but not so thick you cant shoot. look for rubs and scraps to they can help find bucks. what county do you live in
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM

i live in new hanover county and where im puting my stand is right by the wallace airport runway because me dad knows the owner