Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 buck caught me putting up stand. >

buck caught me putting up stand.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

buck caught me putting up stand.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default buck caught me putting up stand.

Hi,
I was putting up my stand up in a new spotyesterday and sure enough here comes a real nice buck walking up and catches me scaling the tree. He snorted and ran off kind of unsure but when I came down later he snorted and ran off for good. I started grunting just to kind of make him wonder if he saw what he thought he did and maybe not be spooked.

Anyway, I hunted there today and I wasn't surprised when he didn't come back. Will this deer return to his pattern of walking that trail even though he caught me up a tree near it? If so, how long before he develops amnesia and resumes his patten?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: buck caught me putting up stand.

I don't think i would run to another spot just yet... might hang in a different tree nearby.. but wouldn't give up the spot. but thats just me.. as to how long till he returns? no real way to know.. no guarantee he would have been back thru the next day even if you had not been detected. IMO this time of year there is not set pattern, closer to rut we get.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

I agree , I,d look for another good close by tree to hang your stand .
Then I,d give it at least 2 days to calm down the area .
Then by the 3rd or so day when the wind is right I,d hunt it .
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM

The only thing I'd do is make sure that you leave that area alone for a week or so. When in fact you do go back in and hunt from that stand I'd take extra care that you are scent-free, which you probably do anyway, but take extra care because you already know for sure there is a buck nearby. As TriStateHunter said, the rut is on its way and they are no longer in their summer patterns.
Wait a week, be as scent-free as possible, watch the wind, and get in there and hunt.
Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM

the older and bigger a buck gets, the smaller his home area gets. if hes a bruiser he might have a home area of less than 5 acres..... move the stand-- or better yet take a different one in with you be as quite as you can, hang in another area and hunt..... try sittin off aways and getting a better idea where he likes to move to and from-- then move on him. good luck
Old 10-18-2008, 10:45 AM

That sucks. Went scouting for bucks and bulls the other day and ran off a big whitetail buck. Oh well, he'll be running around dumb as a rock in the rut!
Old 10-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

look for another good tree very close by
Old 10-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

dont even worry about it. worry more about scent and wind. deer do not know what we are, nor do they remember like u think they would.