Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wisconsin Anterless Hunt

Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wisconsin Anterless Hunt

Is any wisconsin hunters going on the anterless hunt this weekend? im leaving for our hunting land tomorrow night and going to hunt all weekend. If you get one post your pics and stories here. good luck to y'all
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wisconsin Anterless Hunt

Will do.

Hopefully get out tomorrow (Friday) after work and will go Sunday all day. Shotgun zone down here near West Bend.

Also....is the Hoist House still in biz out there?
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

never heard of the Hoist House. wheres it at?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Check your PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Spike

No I will not be going out this weekend. I really dont understand why this 4 day rifle antlerless is anyway? I am new to wisconsin,(transplanted from Michigan) and
will be hunting adams, columbia, sauk counties. Can any of you tell me why this little season is in the middle of bow season?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

herd reduction, plain and simple, just another tactic to get people out and shooting does. Be sure to wear your blaze orange, bowhunters too, and I'm not totally sure but i think you can only shoot does during the 4 day hunt, even if you're using a bow. check the regs so that big buck doesnt get confiscated along with your bow and truck.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Spike

I'm not bow hunting this weekend because sure as you know what a nice buck will just have to walk by me and give me a 15 yard quartering away shot. Will be heading up to Iron River on the 22nd for five days of hunting the big woods.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Spike

been out lastnight and this morning. all i saw was mamma fox and baby fox two different time. oh and i heard and saw the trout jumping in the creek lastnight.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigKoz

No I will not be going out this weekend. I really dont understand why this 4 day rifle antlerless is anyway? I am new to wisconsin,(transplanted from Michigan) and
will be hunting adams, columbia, sauk counties. Can any of you tell me why this little season is in the middle of bow season?
pretty much what Schobs said and for people that need to get a buck sticker if their in an EAB unit
Old 10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a pretty good doe hunt. I hunted the Chippewa county forest. It was two friends (one being 80 yrs. old), my brother, my (8)yr. old daughter, and myself. We got to our stands early Thursday morning and the old guy was the only one to see deer, he missed. We agreed to sit until 9:00, after that we did some small drives with me being a driver and of me missing the deer that are running up the hill. I didn't touch them.
2:30 rolls around and my daughter wants mom to come and pick her up.There was no answer so daughter has to come with me for the afternoon sit. I showed my brother a spot that looked inviting so he decided to sit there. Me and daughter drive to the oak knob that is just offof theATV trail. We sit in the same spot we left our stuff for the morning sit, right in the hole in the ground that the big oak left after it uprooted. It is a good spot, you can see 360 degrees around you.
As I was trying to keep my head from hitting my chest, my daughter whispers, "Why don't you take a little nap?" so I said ok and nodded off. About a half hour went by and I heard a whisper say"dad I just seen a but over there", so I raised up slowly to look in the direction she claimed to see it.
I didn't see anything for twenty minutes and finally they came out. I could see two maybe three. I told her to plug her ears, and when the deer turned broad side, I squeezed the trigger, daughter asked"did you get it?" I replied yes and told her to sit tight because there was another. I got the other in the scope and that one went down also. My brother also knocked down two on the oak ridge he was sitting on.
At the end of that day my daughter was excited for me and glad that mom didn't answer the phone.
Sunday I went out on my own to a different piece of Chippewa County forest with another oak ridge and I shot another big doe. Now I can focus on the big ones with racks.