Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bonus anterless

Old 07-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default bonus anterless

In my county this season we have bonus anterless. We can take 2 this year during firearms. This makes me very mad. There arent going to be any deer left. I hunt a good area I dont see that many deer for this to happen. Those people in Indianapolis dont no anything.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bonus anterless

Welcome to the new world of kill off the does all so the rich ,pride stupin rich hunter can get a chance at a booner.they dont care if the deer are taken down to 5 per sq. mile. they can throw money around and pay for a piece of property with booners.Less does more booners they say
Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 AM

Just go with the flow.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:57 AM

Kansas has some the same thing. I will admit in my section of the state the buck doe ratio is better though.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Well my view is since I live in Indiana is that the Firearms season is way too long, and there are too many deer getting killed. Some counties allow more than 2 antlerless permits. Ok lets say I hunt my county which has 2 permits, then I go to the neighboring county which has 3. Ok then if I kill 2 in bow. Then a buck in firearms, then another doe in muzzleloader. That brings the total count to 9 deer just for 2 counties. Then hunt as many counties as ya can and your wiping out way to many deer. It is just terrible on the first weekend of firearms. In the past over the 1st weekend of firearms to have heard over 300 shots. Thats quite a few. Indiana does have some very nice deer, its just they are not managed properly.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:41 PM

I just took a hunters education class about 3 weeks ago with my buddy since he is getting into hunting. The DNR officer said he counted and if he would have hunted the state park hunts and used all of his bonus deer tags and everything all in all he could kill 69 deer in one season. That surprised me big time. I'm not sure how the bonus antlerless works though because I usually shoot my buck opening morning of firearms and just go to sit during the rest of firearms and muzzleloader. I just enjoy being out in the woods. Me and my dad own 180 acres in lagrange county and we have a very large population and quite a few nice bucks. What county are you guys from Indiana hunting in?
Old 07-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I myself hunt in Vermillion and Parke counties...
Old 07-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

we all should get together and do something sothe deerare managed right.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

In my county this season we have bonus anterless. We can take 2 this year during firearms. This makes me very mad. There arent going to be any deer left. I hunt a good area I dont see that many deer for this to happen. Those people in Indianapolis dont no anything.
Those people in Indy have degrees in subjects such as game management and deer biology , how about you ? They survey the deer population statewwide as well as county by county , how about you ? They set the county bag and state bag based on their ongoing research and the population of deer in each county , how about you ? My county , Harrison , allows 8 bonus antlerless because we're averaging 30-45 deer per square mile , far beyond the carrying capacity . Before you cuss the very people you're paying to manage the herd you should try meeting them and talking with them first , they know way more than you think they do , and a hell of a lot more than you ever will .
Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

kevin I agree with you they probably do more know more then I do on manageing deer. Have you thought maybe they up the bonus anterless in some of the counties so they just can make more money. I have no idea what the deer per square mile is in my county. I hunt along a river that is pretty remote surround by fields and woods. I see deer not great numbers. I feel this will decrease greatly the number of deer that are already there.

Quick Reply: bonus anterless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.