Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing a deer sucks

Old 10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Spike

Default RE: Field dressing a deer sucks

I am with most everybody else, if you shoot it, you gut it.There are a few tricks, some you learn by doing and some you can learn by watching other hunters. If done right, most of the time I am only bloody to my wrist. The more you do the easier it becomes. Jump on in, the waters fine!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never even thought about it. A little skinny deer isn't shxt..........try a moose, elk or buffalo. Now theres some guts. I did four bull elk in one day and have done several antelope and deer at one time. I just split 'em, peel out the organs from the neck down, make two cuts in the diaphram and one around the butthole. It all comes out in one pile. Don't cut anything open inside. Even a large elk can be done and ready to be washed up in ten minutes.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: formula1

'I love the smell of field dressing in the morning'. I honestly don't comprehend the issue.

Our nation is becoming 'wussified' and now our deer hunters, too! Unbelievable! God help us all!
Amen! Bunch of Nancies.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that bothers me is the smell of feces. Hogs keep crapping as your gutting and skinning them, and it smells like human crap, that will make me gag instantly, but I just keep going. Gut shot deer can smell pretty bad too.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can say is its part of the hunt and its something everyone needs to know how to do on their own if they're gonna hunt in the 1st place. I actually enjoy it. I'm sure you can find videos on different ways to do it, but you kind of gotta suck it up. Good luck to you and your future field dressing fun!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol wow, I cannot believe this bothers so many to the point of gagging. I mean guts isn't a smell your going to pick up chicks with well ... at least not here in Minnesota but it certainly isn't bad enough to gag. I am laughing out loud as I am reading some of these.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

for the most part it doesnt bother me the slightest bit, although there have been a few gut shots thathave gottenme to the point of coughing where I had to come up for a breather, but it is part of hunting so suck it up
Old 10-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

like I said its not the gut that bothers me, its the **** that comes out,
I cant stand the smell of ****. When my kids were young I use to gag everytime I changed their diapers. That smell is bad.[:'(]
Old 10-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have a problem with it...in fact...I enjoy the process just to see how, what, &why it died after it was hit.

I did however, have a problem once with gut shot buck of my brothers while I was hungover as he11. Uecker....
Old 10-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even thick nothing about it, its part of the hunt. I've made some good shots and some that could of been better, [] but its like second nature now, I can probably do one at night with no light,....... come to think of it,..... I have, just go by feel and be careful not to rupture the bladder or anything esle. Use those disposable latex gloves. Like someone else said, the heat steaming can be quite warm when temps are down right cold. I think you'll get over it in time, as it makes it so much easier when your dragging it back to the truck. Just deal with it. [:'(]

Bobby

Quick Reply: Field dressing a deer sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.