Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing a deer sucks

Old 10-15-2008, 06:43 AM

Default RE: Field dressing a deer sucks

I don't mind at all. I'm kind of like whitetail fanatic, I usually end up doing most of my buddys' deer. I've got it down to a 15-20 minute process once they're hung. I don't gut, and I use nothing but a knife. I guess you don't paint your face in blood and dance around the campfire either?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with NcHawk here.... I am usually done with it before they quit whining and gagging..lol. Wasnt raised on a farm but I was a quick learner.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

also one tool i really think is extremely helpful is the 'but out" its very helpful when it come sto removing the but hole
Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

I don't mind guttin' 'em at all. I make it a game, trying to do it faster and cleaner than the last one, knock on wood, I haven't sliced myself yet. True test is if youmanage to not get blood on your sleeves - and no rollin' 'em up either.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

One other point...You can clean a deer without gutting, including removing the tenderloins...
Old 10-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Im with you deerslayer!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I never even thought about whether I like to field dress a deer or not, I just do it and not think about it, it part of the experience. If Im gutting a deer that means I shot it so Im usually in a pretty good mood! I also like doinga check to see my shot placement on the internal organs. I always want to see it I took out the lungs, heart, etc. No better feeling while hunting than opening up a deer and seeing a nice clean heart shot, then I can tell I made a ethical shot.Plus, when its all said and done, I'll check the stomachto see what its been eating. I hunt on my dads friends property in Michigan and since he lets me hunt on his property and he upkeeps it, I always gut his deer for him, no questions asked. Plus I'll do my fathers as well, these men taught me a lot about deer hunting its the least I can do to repay them.

I will say one of my favorite things about introducing a new deer hunter to the sport is having them gut there first deer. Never to they think it will be that warm inside. I told my buddy, I'll give you all the advice I can and do my best for you to get a deer, but you have to gut it. When he got his first deer, the task of gutting it was priceless! He tried to gut it with 2 fingers for about 20 minutes, finally, when the diapram cutting came, he "manned up". I will never forget that experience and the laughs I had as I coached him how to do it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

True test is if youmanage to not get blood on your sleeves - and no rollin' 'em up either.
I remember my first gut job, I looked like an axe murderer! I had blood from head to toe! My first doe this year I got ticked because I got a couple drops on my sleeve, the more you do it, the easier it gets.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I also have a weak stomach.

I wear a nose plug to do the litter box, and sometime still have trouble. (2 cats came with the wedding ring)

I haven't had the pleasure of changing a diaper yet.

Field dressing doesn't seem to bother me though. The exception would be if there's a gut shot or accidently cut into the guts while cleaning. Or if I smell the milk from a doe, there may be some gagging involved. lol

I helped my friend with his first deer (first time field dressing for either of us) took us about 45 minutes since we didn't know what we were doing. He ended up puking. and I had to laugh at him. (Hedoesn't have a big problem with diapers, just when it's really bad)

However, earlier in the process, I had put pressure on the bladder and got peed on. He laughed then.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a million things that rank higher on the "icky" scale than gutting a deer.

Quick Reply: Field dressing a deer sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.