Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Field dressing a deer sucks

Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Field dressing a deer sucks

Cant say its bothered me really. The worst experience was actually gutting a buck that had been shot through the hind quarters opening weekend. That wasnt so pleasant but considering all the deer I have had to field dress over the years and that being the worst, i'll take it! I know it could be worse.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM

my second buck I shot head-on with a LOT of gun (35 Whelen)... made a pretty good mess at the far end, I will admit...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dark Helmet

I don't mind it as much as I'm just clueless... I grew up cleaning birds, but only started chasing deer at ~25, this year will be my 4th hunt (at 30) and hopefully my 3rd, 4th, and 5th deer...

I just don't have any idea what I'm doing. My dad can cludge his way through it, but he hadn't dressed a deer for over 25 years when I shot my first one... so he's not really a great teaching resource!!!

someone have a checklist to follow or something like that I can keep in my pocket!?!?!?!
make sure all u got left at the end is bones, meat, and hide
Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM

10 minutes done and on the 4 wheeler going back to camp. If you can't clean it you don't shoot it.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

ORIGINAL: Dark Helmet

I don't mind it as much as I'm just clueless... I grew up cleaning birds, but only started chasing deer at ~25, this year will be my 4th hunt (at 30) and hopefully my 3rd, 4th, and 5th deer...

I just don't have any idea what I'm doing. My dad can cludge his way through it, but he hadn't dressed a deer for over 25 years when I shot my first one... so he's not really a great teaching resource!!!

someone have a checklist to follow or something like that I can keep in my pocket!?!?!?!
make sure all u got left at the end is bones, meat, and hide

that much I get... but I'm a process-oriented person... and I hunt with a bunch of guys who can field-dress a deer in 4-5 minutes... takes me 30-40! kinda embarrassing!!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dark Helmet, I just went to youtube.com and typed in deer field dressing. There are lots of videos you can check out. This might help you.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

The Deer Destroyer, get a quad w/ winch. No dragging
as long as i don got to crag them very fari kinda enjoy it because i m like all proud of my deer [:-]
Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Dark Helmet, I just went to youtube.com and typed in deer field dressing. There are lots of videos you can check out. This might help you.
HAH! never even thought of that... thanks man!!!!

oh, and quads are cheating... (cause I don't have one!!!!)
Old 10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

wait until you can get to your gambrel. then once you've got it up by the hind legs, start skinning. once you've gotten down to the genitals, make your incision down to the sternum. keep pulling the skin down. remove the urine sack, try hard not to puncture it. cut the innards loose. let them fall into the chest cavity. remove your tenderloins. keep pulling the skin down to the shoulders. remove the backstraps. make your incisions around the elbows and back up to the sternum. pull the rest of the skin off. saw off the front legs at the incisions, and remove the shoulders. if you're going to keep the head, saw through the backbone where the skin ends. drop the innard filled cavity in a 5 gallon bucket. saw off backbone at the hips. split the hams. then saw off the back legs below the knees. it's not that hard, you haven't wasted any meat and you've made a lot less mess. ice your meat, and go dump your waste.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Respect the animal you have just harvested. If you are going to hunt, you need to except it.I don't know if you have kids, but think of it like changing a diaper full of ----.

Quick Reply: Field dressing a deer sucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.