Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Hammer slugs

Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Hammer slugs

ORIGINAL: bowkill144

I am thinking about selling the shotgun and just be a muzzel loader hunter
That is exactly what Im doing these days, bought a savage 10ml (smokeless) and never looked back. I trust my muzzleloaders accuracy at longer ranges more than any slug gun Ive owned , and my shoulder and wallet sure dont miss the 12 ga! I dont know if you already own a muzzleloader but you should be able to get a nice Knight on gunbroker for what you could sell your shotgun for.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Deerandbearhog
Yes I have a TC omega and it shoots great but I just wanted to keep this gun at the ready.
Thanks everbody for your input I will let you know how I did.
Gene
Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot Win BRI Sabotsor Dixie Slugs.......
Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless there's no other option, don't sell a gun"because you need themoney". You won't get much for it anyway, and you're better off keeping it. Now, I could see selling a gun or two so you can buy another gun, such as a Savage smokeless.

Brenneke 2.75" KO Sabots are $8 for a box of 5, rated for 1600 fps, 1 oz slug .63" diameter (as opposed to .5" like many others). I'm shooting them this year after Win BRI style slugs went over $11-12 a box.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Still very confused bowkill....and im not even tryin to be a wise ass about it.

I got a thing in the mail from Dicks this past week and it was buy one box get the next box 50% off and you can get up to 6 boxes at a time saved me quite a few dollars but i got 6 boxes ofsabots for under $54 plus i had a $10 off coupon for Dicks....Look for these kinda deals...makes buying stuff alot easier...I havent paid full price for ammo in a long time.

I shoot hornaday SST 12gauge rounds in my slug gun and they group great! It took me 3 boxes to sight it in the 1st time. Now I only need to shoot a few and im ready to rock each year.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Bowkill - Your priorities as you outlined them are in logical order. I also have an Omega that I will grab 9 out of 10 times over my shotgun (Win 1300 Black Shadow Slug Barrel) I shoot 1" groups with the Omega at 100 yards and no shotgun regardless of ammo type will give you that accuracy. Being the muzzleloader is a single shot I also want the option open to use the shotgun in certain hunting scenarios or in real thick cover. I hunt in NH and we got so thick cover where a shotgun can shine. I have found the Win 2-3/4 sabots work for me. I am not happy paying $11.50/box but it beats $18. I have tried the $4-5/box ammo and they're designed for smoothbore barrels. You might be ok to 50 yards but beyond that beware. Maybe go with the cheaper ammo and shorten up your shots and use the mzthe majority of the season.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Love the Buckhammers. Bought them because Remington offered a large rebate. I tested of about five different brands before last season including Hornady, Breneke, and lightfields. Only two brands shot well from my Rem 870 - the Buckhammers and Federal Sabots. Six inch groups at 100 yards are no problem. I have a fully rifled barrel. They do hammer the shoulder as well!

I hope the first one at the range this year hits the bullseye so that I don't have to inflict any more pain on myself than necessary. For some reason I don't notice the "hammer" when shooting a deer.

Bob R.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM

Well I started this post and I said that I would let you guys know how they worked so here is the results. I was impressed I got a nice 1" to 2" group at 50 yards that I setthat group1" high and then got a 3" to 4" group at 100 yards whichlanded about 3" to 4" low. I wish they did not drop that much out of my gun but I will only use the shotgun instands thathave 75 yard lanes and under so it should work very well for that. Stands that I have more range I will use my TC omega. I love the price @ $6.99a box on sale of course and I can not wait to see what an 1 1/4 oz chunk of lead will do to a deer. Thanks for all your input it was very appreciated.
Gene
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dial it up another inch or two at 50 and you'll be dead on at 100.