Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck shot .VS. Slugs??

Old 09-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck shot .VS. Slugs??

I always have used a slug for my shotgun when gun season rolls around, i was curious about buckshot. Has anyone ever used it? I cant see how that would really leave a good blood trail or even down a deer like a slug.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck shot .VS. Slugs??

I don't believe that buckshot is legal amo for deer in ohio . ODNR has a ok website, with the laws printed.[]
Old 09-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've killed over a hundred deer with buckshot. Within its limitations buckshot is deadly.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 AM

IN MA. WE CAN USE BOTH BUT YOU GET YAHOOOS THAT JUST OPEN FIRE ON ANYTHING BROWN!!YOU ONLY NEED ONE SHOT , SLUG IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO,IN MY OPNION!!
Old 09-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree... I only use slugs also.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:34 AM

This topic is often controversial up here in Ontario Canada. With a lot of "shotgun only" zones, a lot of deer camps have a mix of hunters who shoot both. In my experience, the guys who use buckshot, are the guys who don't spend time at the range shooting their gun. (This is a generality, I know it is not true for everyone!!!!) I personally think buckshot should be outlawed. I hate the stuff and will never use it. I have seen too many people in the heat of the moment try shots with buckshot that shouldn't be tried, resulting in nothing but wounded deer. Those shots I am referring to if attempted with slugs would have resulted in a clean miss or a dead deer. If users of buckshot would keep their shots under 40 - 50 yards, then that is fine, but not many are willing to do so. Sorry for the rant, but it is a sensitive one. I hate wasting precious time during hunting season tracking a wounded deer that isn't going to die, but that you have to stay on their trail to make sure of that.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 AM

Personally, after seeing what a slug can do to a deer, I do not know why someone would would shoot anything else!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I gave up hunting with my 30:06 years ago for my slug gun. Bang, drop in the spot most the time
Old 09-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy that uses buckshot, not sure if its double or triple. He shoots a pump with a scope, not sure what choke. He claims he gets 60% groups at 50 yds. He hunts thick stuff and never shoots more than that, usually around 30 yds. He switched to buckshot after having rifle bullets deflected. As long as he's sure of his target, he says he doesn't worry about deflections with buckshot. He says they often drop, but if not he can usually get another quick shot off.

They guy says he has not lost a deer with buckshot. I have heard and read all kinds of things to the contrary though.

I use slugs.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:46 PM

I have not used it much but I would agree with everyone else about buckshot. If you limit your shots to 50 yards or so it is deadly.

You need to pattern you gun with it to know the range. Personally I would stick to slugs.

Quick Reply: Buck shot .VS. Slugs??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.