Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Hammer slugs

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Buck Hammer slugs

I used to shoot rem copper solids but I can not afford them anymore so I bought some buck hammer lead slugs at a 1/3 of the price. I am shooting a rem 1187 12gawith a rem rifle cant barrel and a 1-4 power leopould scope. My question is what can I expect for groupings at 50 yards and 100 yards. I know cleaning will be a little tougher with the lead but I can not spend $18 dollars on 5 deer slugs. I shoot a tc omega very well and will hunt mostly with that but if I can get 3" groups at 50 and 6" groups at 100 with the buck hammers I will be happy enough to use this gun under certain circumsatnces like drives and very thick cover short range bow stands. I am going to sight it in this week some time and I will get back with the results but any input on what I should get or any experience you have had with them would be helpful.

Hunt Hard Hunt Safe
Gene
Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Hammer slugs

I guess what'll really matter is what results you get from the range, not all guns sight in the same, sometimes guns of the same model won't sight in the same, though that can be rarer.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, you should be able to get groups of 2-3 inches at 50 yds.

I'll say this, those buckhammers hammer on both ends.

If price is a real factor, try Brenneke KO sabots. These are a true sabot, not a hybrid, and shoot well for me. They sell for $8 a box at around here.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You will get decent groups, but when you pull that trigger it will get your attention.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Try hornaday SST'S they work great.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wait till Hussein gets his taxes on ammo/firearms, you'll think they are cheap.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Cant afford them anymore???

Im confused...how many do you need????

Sighting in takes a couple boxes sure, but you only need them 1 at a time after that....
Old 10-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Carpetbagger
There many things in my life that are being cut back on due to finances such aswhere I hunt because of fuel cost and many other factors. I have obligations that come before deer hunting and fishing and if I can not lower the costs of my hobbies then I will have to stop doing them. I have no more copper solids I will not go into the season with out shooting at least 5 rounds before the season more if adjustments need made and then I will need at least 10 slugs for the season.I am sorry if you do not understand that my wife, son, house and parents come first.This is the first year that when I am budgeting moneyI am seeingthere is more money going out then there is going in but with the cost of everything going up that is the reality of it. I am thinking about selling the shotgun and just be a muzzel loader hunter but i have had this gun for a long time and would still like to use it. That is why I am making the change to cheaper slugs every little bit helps other wise I will not be doing a lot of this stuff much longer.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

600 grains of lead kicks! I used them once but was not impressed w/ the accuracy. interestingly enough, I also tried hastings laser mags which were almost identical in design and price and they were very accurate. Other good cheap sabots are breneke KO sabots, which I believe are the cheapest sabots on the market and were pretty accurate from what I remember.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

i use the sabots..

they work GREAT!..

i can get a 2" group at 50 yards easy

and i'm 16 =P

Quick Reply: Buck Hammer slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.