Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guys, I'm getting soft

Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guys, I'm getting soft

i have never and will never shoot a doe with a spotted fawn.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have only killed a doe with a fawn around once. I was young and didnt even think about it. It was my first bow kill and when they came down the hill I said to myself that I wasnt going to shoot. 10 mins went by andthe fever set in and I finally did it. to this day I never really thought about her being with her fawn until I read this post. Im going to make a pact with myself to never take a doe that has a fawn with her. I dont think its getting soft, I think its just being human.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i have never and will never shoot a doe with a spotted fawn.
I'm not talking about spotted fawns. The fawns don't have spots this time of year, at least where I hunt they don't. They are old enough to take care of themselves, but they are still fawns. I just don't like killing a doe with fawns, spots or no spots. Remember, it's still a fawn even after the season closes.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:47 AM

Im the same way. Earlier in my life I wouldnt have cared, but now a days, I cant do it.

Last year, I had a doe and baby come under my stand every day and eat acorns. I must have seen them at least 20 times during bow season. The fawn was actually still suckling mama. Well, rifle season comes along, I hunted a different stand, so my cousin took mine. An hour into the hunt I hear a gunshot from my bow stand. Well, my cousin, who is somewhat younger than I, shot the mama. I later asked him is she had a baby with her and he said yes. I was kind of ticked off, but oh well, that is the way it goes.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

I've try to never shoot one with a fawn. Not sure I ever have. Now if there is a group of does and you can't tell for sure there is a fawn (meaning all the deer are fairly big)... then I may take one.

Nothing wrong with passing on a single doe with a fawn or fawns. Especialy if the fawns are small.

I had a group of 7 deer come by me one morning. I shot the biggest doe out of the bunch. When I walk over to it I had to scare the fawn away. I didn't like it. When they are with fawns I now let them walk.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll break the ice... I have and will continue to shoot does with fawns without hesitation. Did so this past Saturday morning. Even most 1.5 old does around here have at least one fawn. If I were to hold off on shooting does with fawns, it would eliminate 90% of my targets.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM

I pass up those shots. I've never killed a deer. I want to kill one so badly, but I still wont take those shots. I know the fawns may survive, but more than likely it will be a death sentence for them. So I don't think you are going soft.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I pass up those shots. I've never killed a deer. I want to kill one so badly, but I still wont take those shots. I know the fawns may survive, but more than likely it will be a death sentence for them. So I don't think you are going soft.
You are mis-informed. The seasons are set up such that the fawns will be perfectly fine to survive on thier own.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

You are mis-informed. The seasons are set up such that the fawns will be perfectly fine to survive on thier own.
The fawns could survive on their own. It's just more of a personal thing. I hold nothing against someone whoshoots adoe with fawns. It's perfectly legal, as long as the fawns have no spots.I just can't do it myself, at least not on purpose.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I usually try not to take them. My family and I watched a yearling doe with her fawn Friday night whole we were just sitting in the truck in a field. The little fan came so close to the truck that I could have grabbed it and brought it in the truck with us. I highly doubt that this one would make it on its own if Momma wasn't around. I would pass.

Quick Reply: Guys, I'm getting soft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.