Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guys, I'm getting soft

Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Guys, I'm getting soft

I passed up three shots at three different does with my bow this weekend. Each doe had at least one fawn with her. Saturday I passed on two easy shots. Today I told myself I was going to take a doe regardless if she had a fawn or not. About7:00 this morning I saw a deer walking towards me feeding on acorns. I got my bow ready and had my release on the string. She stepped out at about 20 yards. I was just getting read to draw, when I see her fawn coming behind her. I said to myself, I don't care, I'm taking her. The fawn came up next to her and she started licking her fawn onthe ears and head. I just couldn't make myself shoot her after watching her groom her baby. I just watched the two feed on acorns for 25 minutes. I just can't make myself shoot a doe with a fawn, especially in early season. Any other softies out there?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guys, I'm getting soft

I've done that a lot. The longer I've hunted I became this way. When I was younger it didn't bother me but when I got older and matured I starting passing up does with fawns. I became a real softy after having my two kids.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

maturity and ethics can be a wonderful thing......
Old 10-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same here, after abotu the first 3 years of hunting I quit shooting does with fawns. I guess most of us get this way.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've try to never shoot one with a fawn. Not sure I ever have. Now if there is a group of does and you can't tell for sure there is a fawn (meaning all the deer are fairly big)... then I may take one.

Nothing wrong with passing on a single doe with a fawn or fawns. Especialy if the fawns are small.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

In south Bama it is very common to see small spotted fawns during the early season. I just don't need to shoot a deer that bad. When the fawns get a little bigger they will survive on their own though.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 AM

That's why it is called HUNTING and not KILLING. Like the rest of you, I enjoy watching a fawn play and run around momma especially when they have no clue I'm right there.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Mother natures spiritual essence is a soul cleansing enviorment......being out there is what it's all about.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been in the Florida woods for 50+ years and never have killed a Doe with Fawn or Fawns.....Or Piggy Sows.....

Like MJL927 mentioned above, there's a difference between ethicalhunting and unethical killing...

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Banned

That can be tough. I've been watching a set of twins for a couple of years now. First time I saw them their momma was with them, year later just the two of them. Same spot as always. You've got to feel good about taking it, if not dont do it. Ethics go further than meat....

Quick Reply: Guys, I'm getting soft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.