Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

questions on pre-rut hunting

Old 10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default questions on pre-rut hunting

i heard light rattling to immitate bucking jus playing around and sparring works anyone else hurd that? what kind urine works to bring in does and bucks? any hints or tips are welcomed and greatly appreciated!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: questions on pre-rut hunting

Ah the pre-rut hunt. I've posted countless times on here asking this same question. It's a cool time to be out in the timber and watch the transition of pre-rut to rut. As for tips to hunting this, I'm no expert but I'm a firm believer in scouting. Like school work for every hour in class you should spend at least another hour out of class doing homework. Do your homework. Scout the area before season opens and take note of deer patterns. Not only is this necessary and essential...it's fun! If you're able to scout out a particular deer, I've always tried my best to sneak in and be completely undetected instead of making a bunch of noise rattling and grunting and all that...leave well enough alone. If you're unable to scout I don't know if I'd recommend rattling. It's one of those things that has to be done at the EXACT right time for it to be effective. Not only the right time of season, but the deer has to be in the right mood as well for you to not spook him off. Rattling is usually best in areas with high buck to doe ratios where there's a lot of competition. I've never had any luck with it and I know you see it work on TV, but you have to remember TV is TV and they're most likely hunting on a preserve which is barely comparable to hunting in the wild. I guess just try it...hunting's all about trial and error...

PS - I talked to an older guy today and asked him if there are any scents he likes in particular and he said the only one he's ever had luck with is "Deer Sense." It's one of those sticks you burn...he told me some pretty cool stories about deer going crazy over it and sniffing the bucket. He claims that those are the reason he has a deer on the wall. He recommended the Cover and Attractant combo, not the Rutrageous ones.