Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY hunting questions... >

NY hunting questions...

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunting questions...

Old 09-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Default NY hunting questions...

Hey all,

I am very interested in starting to hunt. I was in the military, I know how to shoot, however, I have never hunted. I think I will enjoy this sport, so my brother and I decided to try this year.

I understand that NY season starts in November and there are different areas as listed on the DEC web stie.

My question is simple...I want to make a weekend out of this hunting trip. Basically, friday, saturday, and sunday. I have no clue where to go! There are so many areas, however, i dont know where the public spots are. I was searching on the net, but i couldnt find anything. If you know of resources, i would love to see them.

Also, can anyone suggest a hunting area, hotel, or maybe even a guide for first timers. I live in NYC, so maybe 4 hours north at the most.

I'll take any suggestions.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY hunting questions...

Being from NYC, I'd look at the Catskill Mtn's. There are several public statelands open to hunting. You should be able to get a basic map in the hunting guide book recieve when purchasing a license. You can also contact that areas regional DEC office for more info, and maps. You have to get a hunting license by Oct. 1st. if you plan on applying for a deer management permit, which allows you to take a doe also if recieve one. Once you get a map, take the time to plan a ride there early to do some looking around, and scout. You can probably find a area hotel then as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

sir, go on to the dec web site and to the interactive state lands map, ny state has over 1 million acres of state land to hunt, and alot of it very good and under hunted in the last few years. ny hunters are on the decline.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Spike

If I were you I would check out the Roscoe, Downsville area. All you would have to do is get on 87N get off exit 16 and take Route 17 (Future I86) West into Roscoe. They have a lot of stateland and you can take 206 in Roscoe all the way to Downsville for some more good hunting areas. They also have a nice little community with a few hotels and bed & breakfast establishments.

If you stay on Route 17 West you can also get off the Deposit exit and theres a lot of stateland out there.

From NYC to Roscoe you talking less than 2-1/2 hrs. I used to make the drive twice a week.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Be sure to sign up for your hunter safety course before you buy a license. I believe thay now have a discount license for military vets.

The others have given some great advise. I would only add that you may want to call the regional DEC office and ask for the names and addresses of farmers who are reporting crop damage for nuisance doe permits. You may get some private land to hunt on.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: vanillathunder

If I were you I would check out the Roscoe, Downsville area. All you would have to do is get on 87N get off exit 16 and take Route 17 (Future I86) West into Roscoe. They have a lot of stateland and you can take 206 in Roscoe all the way to Downsville for some more good hunting areas. They also have a nice little community with a few hotels and bed & breakfast establishments.

If you stay on Route 17 West you can also get off the Deposit exit and theres a lot of stateland out there.

From NYC to Roscoe you talking less than 2-1/2 hrs. I used to make the drive twice a week.
I am in Rochester, but my first 2 years big game hunting were in Downsville...Although we lost the hill we hunted to a hunting club. Guess the new owners didn't know the generations of my family in the town. There is a couple of small hotels right in town if you choose to stay. There is pretty good dear movement too. Never looked into state land in the area. I sure miss using my rifle too, but doe tags a plenty up here...good luck finding a spot.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 AM
EBB
Spike

I too live in the city and have a place in the Catskills. Minnewaska State Park & The Mohonk Preserve are 2 places I would think about (google them) - I've seen massive deer in both places. I've never hunted there because there's enough land between me and my two neighbors to keep us busy with good deer, but I always see a truck or two at the various trailheads throughout the season.

I'll just take a second to bring up the obvious that you probably already know (so forgive me if so...) Buying a firearm if you have an NYC address is impossible without a firearms permit and the permit takes months to get and about $100 or more. It's also a pain to get. You can only get it from the Police Plaza in Queens and you need the application notarized. If you don't have this yet you won't by November.

Lastly, locals just hate Jersey & city hunters... age old story, what can you do? Be cool & be nice, etc.

Good Luck, be safe!
Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is very true what you say about buying and owning a gun in NYC. However, he could technically purchase a long gun anywhere in NY state like anyone else without any special permit. They would not care whether he has a NYC address as long as he passes the instant background check and fills out the paperwork. If he were to keep it in NYC he would be violating the law, but he CAN purchase a long gun in other parts of the state like anyone else. There are only a handful of places where one can purchase a gun in NYC and most people purchase them on Long Island or Upstate. When I have purchased mine on Long Island I had to ask them to fill out the NYC paperwork for me, it is not like they cared whether I lived in the city or not. Granted I haven't purchased a gun in a few years, but I think it still works the same way as before.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lastly, locals just hate Jersey & city hunters... age old story, what can you do? Be cool & be nice, etc.
You are so right here! It is almost ridiculous how the locals hate city hunters and accuse them of shooting up all the deer while at the same time the city hunters accuse the locals of the very same thing! The truth is somewhere in between I guess, but it's just funny and sad how hunters have such a suspicious attitude towards each other. If we can't even trust each other why in the world should non-hunters trust us? We should all stop and think about it sometimes!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:01 AM
EBB
Spike

Hey Steve, I think that's inaccurate. I was all set to pay for my 870 last fall (at a shop upstate) but when they took my license and noticed the NYC address, the sale was off unless I could present my permit. (And yep, we're talking long gun. A handgun permit in NYC?? Virtually impossible for civilians.) I told them I was a local resident (weekender) but with my city license it was a no-go. Long Island is different - my buddy was able to by a rifle upstate with his Long Island adrs. I think the issue is New York County which is Manhattan/Bkln/Queens... They don't want us anarchist lawless freaks owning weapons. And rightly so....

Quick Reply: NY hunting questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.