Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now? >

you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: you get busted by a group of does... what do you do now?

There was one time I snorted back at the does because they just kept snorting, and it made me mad. There has been a number of times that I've been busted, and then a little later, more deer pass through. Just because you get busted, doesn't mean the hunt is over. Heck, one time, my dad got busted and shot the same doe that busted him. She came back in, and even kept her eye onwhere he was sittin, but this time he arrowed her.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

On opening day of archery this year I went out and had 4 does within 10 yards. I could see them both at times but they didn't see each other. They stompped and blew at each other for 10 minutes. while I tried not to fall out of the stand laughing.

I've had so many hunts when a deer blows and I keep hunting. They hunt and stomp but the other deer later (sometimes not much later) pay no attention to it and come on in. So I never move. If I'm out hunting and get busted I sit tight. Many times they either come back or other deer come by.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Probably 90% of the time or more, I just stay put and wait them out. However, I have snorted back at them, specailly on a slow day, just to break things up and have a little fun. It doesn't seem to spook them too much and sometimes their reactions can be quite entertaining
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I spooked 3 does walking in to my stand and almost went home cuz it was already getting late but I decided to just sit and wait and half hour later I shot and killed a doe that came in.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Spike

A good example for this just last night. I had a doe walk in from downwind at 15 yards. She blew and stomped but casually walked back away. Not 10 minutes later here comes four more does from the other direction upwind and they were all goofy too blowing and so on.I knew I didn't stink that bad and later realized that three young bucks had these does all pissed off by harrassing them all day and for the hour or so I watched them. It depends on the situation, but you can never be 100% sure it's you they are alarmed about.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Typically if you get busted, wait 15 minutes. Or if you were in my situation that I was in this morning, I left my release and six does walked right under me, picked
me up and bolted! I was disgusted, so I just hit the pavement and went back to the truck.

If you get busted 2-3 times, more than likely your not going to see them again. I have also given it a week or two let my scent vanish and the deer came back, but
was a little more apprehensive.

Use your best judgment.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM

You betcha, but it depends on what kind of snort. If the doe does not make me out and is just alarmed that there is something there (Startled Alarm), I'll snort back. This will usually (getting in her mind) make her think I'm a deer. She will usually sit for a few moments and calm down.

I have posted a link to a short video by Peter Fiduccia (aka "The Deer Doctor) where he describes this same tactic. Now grant you it doesn't always work but you'd be surprised.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1659438,00.html