Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

busted!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default busted!!!

had a good setup yesterday-turkey gobbled as i was walking down an old log road going into lease to area i had heard turkeys before. he was off to my left about 50 yds. i stuck a decoy in the road for him to see and stepped over to a big pine and set up. i tree yelped and he gobbled back 3 times and i shut up to let him worry a while. i heard him fly down-single bird-GREAT. i let out my sweetest yelp and he gobbled back and my nerves went into overdrive. he's on the ground and coming to me. after about 5 min. i heard something moving to my right and rear. bad for me, as i'll either have to reposition the gun, and shoot off shoulder, or let him walk by me to get a proper shot. he's out there, not 15 yds away. i cut my eyes around and see something black moving thru the bushes (very thick to right side) it's moving closer, when i hear another movement. cutting my eyes back farther, i see something ?TAN? about that time, i make out the black thing as a black lab! the tan thing is a beagle-walker mix dog. they stop when they see the decoy and the lab barks several times. i figure the turkey has left for parts unknown by then, so i wait to see what is going to happen now. the lab works it's way to about 10 feet from the decoy and barks 2 times. the breeze turns the decoy and the lab runs around the curve in the road. the hound barks at the decoy and starts a stalk. the wind turns the decoy and the hound moves to a position facing the decoy head on that puts him between me and the decoy. as it moves again, he backs up to within arms reach of me. i growled like a bear and grabbed at him and threw leaves on him. he nearly turned inside out getting away from whatever had him!! he ran off and i don't know if he stopped till he got home! neither dog ever saw me, so i guess my camo worked pretty well, and i hope that the scare i put in them will teach them not to come into the woods looking for hens. i hate a dog that tries to bust up nests, but i also know what it's like to have one of your dogs killed. next time out, i'll carry some #9 i case they didn't learn their lesson. painful at 30 yds, but a lasting reminder. hope all of you get your turkey and not get BUSTED like me. have fun and BE SAFE!!
Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: busted!!!

Cool story. LOL maybe better luck next time