Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Weather

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Weather

Im a woman so im never happy

I don't mind the weather as long as its not raining. I can deal with snow and hot weather. Its in the 40s just now. Don't mind that.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't hunt with a bow or muzzleloader if it's raining really hard out. A light rain is ok, but nothing harsh. During gun season, I'm out no matter what.

Some people have told me that dark, rainy days are the best time to see deer, but I've never seen it. In all my years I think I've seen only a handfull of deer during a heavy shower.I'd rather sit that out than have it ruin my fletching, wash away my bloodtrails, or foul up my black powder.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:45 AM

There have been a number of studies done on deer activity in relation to the weather. Deer in different areas can stand hotter or colder weather than deer in other areas.

T.R.Michels has some interesting graphs on deersightings in relation to the temperature and wind. You can view them on his site by Googling "Deer Activity Graphs". Hehas spent over 10 years reserching deer.

I've learned that when it is too hot or too cold for deer movement in the states I hunt, I may not see normal deer movement, in which case I go looking for the deer where it is eitherwarmer, less windy, drier or cooler - where the deer may be found.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

I hunt when its hot out, but Id take 10 degrees over 75 thats for sure.