Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hot Weather Hunting >

Hot Weather Hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hot Weather Hunting

Old 09-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Hot Weather Hunting

Last week was in the high 80's and I was dripping wet by 10:30am. I use every scent elimination prduct I can think of short of Scent Lok clothing which would be like wearing a sweat suit in a suana. I'm always afraid that even with showering and spraying with no-scent, the deer will smell me. I wash my clothes in no-scent detergent and store them in ziplocks. I spray my equipment before heading out and when I return. For all you hunters in warmer climates, what do you do for scent elimination?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hot Weather Hunting

Dont worry about it,especially in Maryland where most deer have daily contacts with humans. Love warm hunting,Can sit all day without freezing. The best times of course is early and late and if hunt close to food sources and water.Take advantage of natural scents in the area ,such as evergreens,rub them on you along with them wild onions or garlic grass.If you hunt on a farm with livestock stump on the floppersand use it
Old 09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

gotta go with cardeer here....hunt near water. and real early .......as for sweating....its cooler near the ground......ground blind??? Also buy your hunting clothes to fit a lil looser..that will help. ive seen guys have to suck it in .to button up...thats got to be making you hot ..not to mention uncomfortable.....maybe use baking soda to absorb sweat. on neck area and crotch area especially.. wear headband to soak up sweat and keep out of eyes..I dont recommend a hat because it stops the heat from venting off you...I use a camo bandana......Some days its just too damn hot....but you can kill em from da couch..Whew... Sorry I coulnt come up with anything...HEE HEE
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Using the natural scents around you wil lhelp more then anything.Igf you are close to everygreens then take some green needles home and boil them down.Take the water and pour it into a spray bottle.This will work well.I like using cedar tree scent works very well for me.I wouls suggest not wearing your close to and from the stand put them on just before getting to it.Will help with keeping them from getting too sweaty.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Try Air Mesh camo....Bass Pro has it. About $15.00 for Tshirt. We got it to go to Florida the first of July to hog hunt.....can't beat it. The Air Mesh pants are great too.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

We're just Hunt-a-holics. If we had any sense we'd wait until it cooled off. Yes, we go out and sweat and spook deer and stink up what would otherwise be a great stand site. But what's a boy to do. I just have to go when I can....sweat and all. You did well not to sweat before 10:30. I'm usually sweating by 5 when I load everything into the truck. The wind, what little there is this time of year is our friend. I'd give up a couple days hunting for a good 2 day rain soaking here in Maryland. We had rain exactly once since July 4th at my house.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:04 PM

I do everything you do, but I wear my ScentLok Savanna. In fact, I wore it saturday and was cooler than not wearing it Sunday. I guess becuase it breathes so well.