Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help needed

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default help needed

Hey guys...
I was out this mornin' and shot a doe... we got it on video, and after further observation, i realized that i had hit her back and low...(thinking low liver)we followed her blood trail fer like 200 yds, but then it started to rain, and we lost the trail... We were after her for like 2 hours, and we're heading out soon. She looked like she was hit good, and there was lots of blood, its just where do i go from here?! I've heard lots of ideas, on how to go about it, i just wanna here it confirmed in my own case! Pass the advice please!
Gerard
Old 10-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help needed

Hopefully you know the lay of the land and have enough people to help, I would work my way from the last spot towards typical areas that deer would bed in. the fact that shes had time to expire will help. Not sure why type of terrain you shot her in and where you last saw blood. if you have 2 or 3 other people help you, spread out about 40 or 50 yds from each other and work your way in the same direction. get a game plan together before you go out so everyone is on the same page. good luck and let us know if you find her.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

go to the bowhunting section and read the thread pinned ot the top on tracking
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Check near a water source.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you did not push this deer during your first 200 yds of tracking, it "should" be within the next 200 yds or so. If the deer was pushed it "could" go a ways.

Don't give up on the actual tracks. You may be able to follow them some distance. When all hope of tracking either tracks or blood is lost, take a systemmatic approach. Grid search or circular is up to you. Focus on thick cover, but also little bits of cover in otherwise open areas. Every source of water should be checked too.

In my experience, pure gut shots don't bleed well. I suspect you have a liver hit, and you should fiond that deer dead, but it may take some looking. Don't get discouraged, just get out there and do it.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Well we put in alot of hours lookin' for him, but no luck,... we even took out our dog-he's real keen... not trained mind you for trailing, but never found her... I know she's down by the amount of blood she lost, but she went straight for a big cedar patch which wasn't a big deal, but right in the middle of the bush is a huge swamp, like it's really thick, so i doubt we'll find her...
how long after a deer dies will the meat stay good? (in say like 4C @ night to 12 C durin' the day?)
thanks again
Gerard
Old 10-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

if its your land then you should know where they travel, lots of times when the deer is hurt it takes its normal trails, check all water sources, and get a lot of people together to help find it good luck
Old 10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Coyotes got to eat too. Sounds like you pushed her too quick. Should have waited an hour or so.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

we waited for an 1 1/2 hours, but it was gonna rain, so we headed out... it was straight downpour after we got 200 yards on the trail...
Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any way we could see the video? And i feel for you man, the exact same thing happened to me last night but it was a buck and i hit him really high.