Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Illinois Deer Hunters?

Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Any Illinois Deer Hunters?

Hey, I am an avid deer hunter down here in Louisiana, and I am going to Illinois deer hunting this year for my first time. I will be hunting some of my wifes familey's friends farm land in Massac County. Massoc county is in the southern tip of the state and borders the ohio river.

Can any one give me any pointers? I have no Idea what to expect? I am hoping for a good deer, but will settle for a good time.

I will be hunting in early to mid november with my bow. From the info that I have managed to gather this is the rut. I could use all the advice I can get. I have never seen the place I am hunting and the land owner is not a deer hunter. He just said that there were lots of deer.\

Any good deer up there?

Thanks
Justin
Jn 6:27

If you ever need any info about deer/duck hunting in northern louisiana and southern arkansas shoot me a line i maght can help
Old 08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any Illinois Deer Hunters?

Any good deer up here?

Hell yeah!

Massac is a good county
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

yeah Illinois is a good deer state...I don't wanna say the best but its up there... Deer here will probably be a little bigger than you see in Louisiana
Old 08-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

southern IL I think use to be more deer, less quality, though in the last 10yrs I'd say things have started to change more in the trophy direction. Especially with KY coming on strong as a big deer state.

Really just about anywhere in this state can and probably has produced a monster or two.

Good luck, mid november, southern IL, seems about ideal....
Old 08-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Good county but not as good as Peoria ctny LOL
Old 08-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your hitting it right at prime time buddy. Bring the antlers, can bleat and grunt tube and hunt all day if you can! Your about to find out what midwest rut hunting is all about.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I was headed north on I-24. I had just crossed the Ohio River bridge into Massac (less than 2 miles from the bridge). On the left side of I24 stands a grown doe in a field. On the right shoulder of I24 looking at her was a 180 class buck waiting to cross behind her. That was an awesome sight and it was November 14th, 2007. You should hit the rut just about perfect.

I hunt in Johnson Co. in S. Illinois just N of Massac. I truly believe S. Illinois is a sleeper area for big bucks. I am providing you with pic of a buck from our lease from 2007 (i'm not the lucky guy). I think you'll be ready when you see it!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:39 AM

rut+anywhere in illinois=likely success good luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Your hitting it right at prime time buddy. Bring the antlers, can bleat and grunt tube and hunt all day if you can! Your about to find out what midwest rut hunting is all about.
Great advise right here, this is exactly what you need to do that time of year here in Illinois. The bucks will be coming to horns and chasing all day. Stay in the timber, a good staging area next to food, or a good pinch point will do you great. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM

Ya, I hunt Pope County and I took a nice 10 pointer back in '06. Southern Illinois has some large bucks and lots of does. I have taken a buck every year for the past 7 and have taken a number of does durring that time too.