Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need scope help

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default need scope help

looking to get an affordable yet good scope i have a 30.06 pro hunter any help also rings and base to go with any help would be appreciated. What would be a good set up for this gun
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: need scope help

Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40 with Rainguard for about $250.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Check out Leupold VX-I's & VX-II's, Leupold is the only way to go. Anything less and your chancing it.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Jack_Bauer

Check out Leupold VX-I's & VX-II's, Leupold is the only way to go. Anything less and your chancing it.

Not sure where you are getting this, but it just isn't true.

1 st .... no one I know would recommend a vx I anymore since there are better scopes for the money. VX I 's have friction adjustments, and no one with the money for a prohunter would put a 100.00 scope on it. The VX II would even be a marginal choice. And over the Last 10 + years, Leupold has lost market share due to other scopes working on better quality and service, while Leupold sat still. Yes, the VX III is a good scope, but there are others that are just as good for less $$$.

I don't know how much you are wanting to spend, but I will recommend according to a middle of the road and up basis.

VX III
Nikon Buckmasters
Nikon Monarch
Bushnell 3200
Bushnell 4200
Zeiss Conquest

Anything in a 3-9 x 40 up to a 4 - 16 X 42 or something with a 50 mm Obj.

Be careful with a 50mm Obj. though, because you will have to go with higher rings and bases on most all rifles. And as for rings and bases, I would look at the Leupold Rings and Bases to fit it.

You can look at the scopes to find what you want at: www.theopticzone.com or www.swfa.com .

Hope this helps.

MET
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I'd have to agree there probaly are better scopes out there for the money, but Leupold is tough to beat as a whole...Just cause something is old technology doesnt mean its bad technology. I have a cheap simmons shotgun scope on one of my slug guns that has hand click adjustments on the elevation and windage, but its still a $50 scope and yet works well.

I have also delt with Leupolds customer service once so far and have found it to be exceptional. I had an issue wish the scope rings and they just sent me new scope rings. They truly are a company that relies on not only having you buy one piece of optics, but many many more. I probaly will buy a VX II in the near future for my 270 to upgrade, as well as buy another if I continue to aquire more rifles in the future. They have made a customer for life from me just due to how great they treat you when you call with an issue or question.

I have a VXI on my 270 and it shoots great for my young eyes...VX II you move up in glass and you get the click adjustment. VX III you move up in glass again and you can hand click adjust the scope without a screwdriver.

Havent used a Zeiss, but have looked through many of the 3-9 Conquests, as well as the Nikon Monarch in 3-9 and the VXIII in 4-10very similar in size weight, glass and price...All of them seem to be great products. If you are going to spend $300-500 on a scopeI really dont think you can go wrong with anything in that price range from any manufacturer..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

3x9 burris fullfield II w/ ballistic plex. 239 on cabela's 2x7 under $200, both would suit you fine. The ballistic plex reticle with multiple aiming points helps with the longer shots with a little practice. I haven't broke any of my burris scopes yet, even managed to run over a fullfield and the tube body was scratched up bad but held zero and still works fine.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

If i buy this 7mm08 im gonna try one of these bushnell scopes in 3X9 just to see whats the hype....not sure if im gonna use the 4200 or 3200...whats the difference???
Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: millagerobert

3x9 burris fullfield II w/ ballistic plex. 239 on cabela's 2x7 under $200, both would suit you fine. The ballistic plex reticle with multiple aiming points helps with the longer shots with a little practice. I haven't broke any of my burris scopes yet, even managed to run over a fullfield and the tube body was scratched up bad but held zero and still works fine.
[:@][:@]

Why recommend Cabalas to someone for 239 when you can go to theopticzone.com and get it for 209.00, or you can go to swfa.com and get it for 199.95 and also get a free pair of bino's.

Folks need to check around a bit.... giving suggestions can cost people money.

LINKS:

Fullfield II 3-9x40, Ballistic Plex, Matte

$209.00

More Info

200162BIN

Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope

[ul][*]Matte[*]Ballistic Plex[*]1"[*]Hunter Knobs[*]Free Burris Landmark 8x32 Binocular w/ Purchase [/ul]
SWFA:
$199.95[/b]

I have links in my previous post..... use them and look around... Cabalas very rarely prices things better than these two sites.... very rarely....

MET