Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with VA game laws

Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Help with VA game laws

I have family that lives in western Virginia. My father and I are talking about trying to head out there and hunt with them this fall. I went to VA's web page and started reading the regs. Am I correct that Muzzleloader season (early) runs from Nov 1-14 and then Rifle season goes from Nov 15-29 (later depending on county) We would be hunting in the Jefferson Nat Forest but I'm not sure of exactly what county. I could be either Wythe or Bland. Maybe Smyth but I don't think so. Last question would be on what licenses we would need. Am I correct that we need both a "hunting license" and a "big game license?" I know about no Sundays. Anything else we should no?

For what it's worth, I'd ask my family but he is my Great-Uncle and not much help on this kind thing. But he's my only family left that hunts in this area and he won't have too many more hunting trips left.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help with VA game laws

You will need to buy both licenses. Haven't read the page yet this year but check to make sure that the season is not different in the Nat'l Forest. Sometimes m/l is only a week in the Nat'l forest.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the information you listed is very correct and their website is excellent.You need to find out what county exactly you will be hunting and then you can go from there.The countys you listed are real good hunting for deer.Once you find that out you can narrow the weeks and hunting locations down.Hope your hunting goes well!
Mike
Old 07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

You will also need a ML license if you're going to hunt that season and a National Forrest Stamp.