Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Teach me the ways of the weather >

Teach me the ways of the weather

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Teach me the ways of the weather

Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Teach me the ways of the weather

I have spent a few hours over the last few days trying to educate myself on how weather systems/Moon phases and wind really effect the species of deer (whitetail specifically for me) i know its not the same everywhere you go but I'm sure there has to be some golden rules i can use to my advantage this year. If you don't mind sharing i don't mind reading :-d any information you have is much appreciated
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Teach me the ways of the weather

First rule...Go when you can, just because you never know...

I work for myself, so unless I am really busy, I can take off and go when I feel conditions are right...

Hunting and Fishing...Go before the front comes in, this usually means a falling barometer...Fishing, this means insects hatch...Deer willfeed up before the storm...

Full Moon...Hunt it...Especially during the rut, simply because big bucks do travel during the day during the rut..."Everyone" says don't go during the full moon, I see deer then, it is the 4-5 day period AFTER the full moon that can be slow, it seems to take them a few days to adjust to moving at night...During these days after the moon, sleep in, work a few hours and hunt from 10-3, many times this works because the deer pattern you quicker than you can pattern them...

I do make adjustments during the full moon...I hunt as close to the bedding area as I can, so I can pick up on deer as they move to their feeding area...I do the same in September when it is hot here in NC...

I do not like hunting windy conditions, especially if it is cold and raining...Being a tree stand hunter this type weather can be miserable...Other than that, I go whenever I can and enjoy the time in the woods...

I will say this as well...I move stand locations and am extremely careful about scent control (no scent suit), but keeping your shoes away from oil and other chemicals that can let a deer know that you were there...I feel many hunters stop seeing deer because they have been pegged...Fortunately, I can move stands or a few farms over to avoid too much pressure...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks alot for the informtion!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been at it since 1962. Frankly I have not, do not and will not give much thought to "when to go" info. I just go ... and stay as long as I can. Having said that ... cold, damp, north around to west soft winds, in the peak of the rut = excellent.

I once upon a time got all caught up in the "moon phase" stuff. I put in 30-45 days each season. All kids of weather, all moon phases. I kept very detailed records covering 6 years of hunting deer in SE Alabama. I found 1 and only rather weak correlation in moon phase. Clear sky, fullish moon ... more movement in early a.m. and midday.

Weather was the number one correlation. Simply put, hot was bad and cold was good. Soft northward to westward wind, drizzle about 40F +/- ... absolutely ideal. Cold (sub freezing) , blue bird sky, still .... from about 07:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. and again around dusk ... excellent. Warm, southerly around to easterly winds ... not good. Strong winds ... any direction ... not good. Mild temperatures, rain showers ... time in between the showers if 30 minutes or more... often great. We get very little snow here. I have hunted probably 20 snow days in 46 years. I saw no deer on these days.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where bouts are you hunting Mojotex??