HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Teach me the ways of the weather
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Teach me the ways of the weather

Been at it since 1962. Frankly I have not, do not and will not give much thought to "when to go" info. I just go ... and stay as long as I can. Having said that ... cold, damp, north around to west soft winds, in the peak of the rut = excellent.

I once upon a time got all caught up in the "moon phase" stuff. I put in 30-45 days each season. All kids of weather, all moon phases. I kept very detailed records covering 6 years of hunting deer in SE Alabama. I found 1 and only rather weak correlation in moon phase. Clear sky, fullish moon ... more movement in early a.m. and midday.

Weather was the number one correlation. Simply put, hot was bad and cold was good. Soft northward to westward wind, drizzle about 40F +/- ... absolutely ideal. Cold (sub freezing) , blue bird sky, still .... from about 07:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. and again around dusk ... excellent. Warm, southerly around to easterly winds ... not good. Strong winds ... any direction ... not good. Mild temperatures, rain showers ... time in between the showers if 30 minutes or more... often great. We get very little snow here. I have hunted probably 20 snow days in 46 years. I saw no deer on these days.