HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Teach me the ways of the weather
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Teach me the ways of the weather

First rule...Go when you can, just because you never know...

I work for myself, so unless I am really busy, I can take off and go when I feel conditions are right...

Hunting and Fishing...Go before the front comes in, this usually means a falling barometer...Fishing, this means insects hatch...Deer willfeed up before the storm...

Full Moon...Hunt it...Especially during the rut, simply because big bucks do travel during the day during the rut..."Everyone" says don't go during the full moon, I see deer then, it is the 4-5 day period AFTER the full moon that can be slow, it seems to take them a few days to adjust to moving at night...During these days after the moon, sleep in, work a few hours and hunt from 10-3, many times this works because the deer pattern you quicker than you can pattern them...

I do make adjustments during the full moon...I hunt as close to the bedding area as I can, so I can pick up on deer as they move to their feeding area...I do the same in September when it is hot here in NC...

I do not like hunting windy conditions, especially if it is cold and raining...Being a tree stand hunter this type weather can be miserable...Other than that, I go whenever I can and enjoy the time in the woods...

I will say this as well...I move stand locations and am extremely careful about scent control (no scent suit), but keeping your shoes away from oil and other chemicals that can let a deer know that you were there...I feel many hunters stop seeing deer because they have been pegged...Fortunately, I can move stands or a few farms over to avoid too much pressure...