Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mock scrapes

Old 05-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Default mock scrapes

do they work this time of year was thinking of making one and setting a camera on it for a little while? what would be a good scent to use in it? hawgs synthetic gland scent
Old 05-29-2006, 06:05 PM

Default RE: mock scrapes

Scrapes are used for breeding purposes, so I would have to say no, they will not be effective this time of year. Once the bucks loose theirvelvet their aggresive nature will start to shine, though.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: big ten

do they work this time of year was thinking of making one and setting a camera on it for a little while? what would be a good scent to use in it? hawgs synthetic gland scent
I make scrapes in early Nov and Dec. I also use my "own" scent. I call it the Greg Holland special lure. Pee on your own scrape, believe me it works.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol ive never heard of that before, are you sure it wont scare them away? how often do you pee on it
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 PM

Cougar, I've heard lots of people say that. I've not seen it first hand, but apparently it's no urban legend, it actually works.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

I've been keeping two "artificial" scrapes going all year long for several years. I keep the leaves clear as necessary, and don't bother with adding any scent anymore (I have peed in them, added dirt fromother far-distant (fall) scrapes, and experimented with commercial lures in prior years). Deer have adopted both of them - they'll check the licking branches above the scrapes during the spring/summer and keep them open during the fall/winter.
-fsh
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aaah, the old "pee" question...

God, how many times have I written on this one?

ABSOLUTELY NO, human pee does NOT scare deer.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a large community scrape just 20 yards off my property line in PA that is used year round, I actually visited it this weekend and it is still well used and fresh. The area is about 5'x 3'. I will have to take pictures of it next time I am down there. If it was on my property I would have the leaf river game cam onit, however I think the "neighbors" would probably steal my camera if I left it there.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick, thanks for telling us that. I have never heard of a scrape "out of season". Learn something new every day I guess.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM

I made a mock scrape within bow shot last year and would pee on it every now and then. I can't tell you how many deer stopped to smell that spot for a few seconds. Long enough to release an arrow. Definitely a curiousity factor rather than a fear factor for most deer in my humble opinion. Plus its cheaper than buying the bottled stuff. Not sure it would make for a very good scent trail though if that's what you were aiming for.

Quick Reply: mock scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.