Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 new york scouting first time help? >

new york scouting first time help?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new york scouting first time help?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default new york scouting first time help?

Im going up to my new propery in schuyler ny herkimer county to do some scouting...... Its the first time i ever really scouted up there and sort of the first time im doing a real, big scout. (Im 14) Exactly what should I look for besides tracks, poop and trails? I want to see where some bed and what time they travel through my property and where? Any help would be appreciated since Im leaving thursday morning
Thanks
Mike

Oh and i almost forgot.... im bringing up my 2 wildview trail cams with some corn...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new york scouting first time help?

Go slow, try not to disturb the deer to much during your scouting. Look for main deer trails and find intersections. Also look for less traveled deer trails that parallel the main trails, those are the ones the bucks generally use. I would mow a few extra lawns and invest in a couple trail cams to set up when you find a trail that seems to be used by the larger bucks. If it is hot and dry, watch the waterholes, and any food sources in the morning and evening. Go online and get some satellite photos from google earth, then put boots to the dirt and explore spots that look good, such as thick cover away from main roads.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your eye out for " generation rubs ", trees with rub scars over scars. Even now, if you look close, you will find last years late scrapes under overhanging branches. They will be faint, but visible. If you have the opportunity, spot light { legally } as much as possible. Best proof of a buck being in a given area is seeing it.

Look for stands of white oak and beechnut in that area.

Keep note of where you see largest concentrations of Doe. The week of the second new moon, after the fall equinox that spot will be HOT.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just walk the property. Look for bedding and feeding areas and then try to find the main runs coming between them. Learn the wind and set up your spots.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I went for the past 3 days.... I also went last fall and many of the trails that looked to be used in the fall are not so much used now. I also found out that I have tons of wild rasberrys on the property with 1 huge area full of them. I brought my climbing stand with me and put it out on a trail near some rasberries...I went out at 6 pm and it wasnt 25 minutes until a little spike in velvet came in. I was so excited! I also noticed that the deer were in the neighboring property fields in most times of the day. Oh yah, the property is 70 acres... We made a few quading trails on the property and were riding them a decent amount for the 3 days that were there.... how long or would it scare the deer away?
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Spike

As you scout this time of the year rememberthe trees have plenty of leaves on .So the deer have plenty of cover to move and feel safe.When the leaves come off some areas become open ,no cover , so i have found that bucks will change their travel patterns.Bucks will move through where they feel safe.But as every knows this will change when the rut is on.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: adirondackhunter

As you scout this time of the year rememberthe trees have plenty of leaves on .So the deer have plenty of cover to move and feel safe.When the leaves come off some areas become open ,no cover , so i have found that bucks will change their travel patterns.Bucks will move through where they feel safe.But as every knows this will change when the rut is on.

I agree...therefore try some topo maps of your hunting area and support those with an overhead satellite view such as Live Earth or Google Earth (winter view). Do this before you scout if possible.