Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Update on the price of corn

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Default RE: Update on the price of corn

Here in South Arkansas deer corn is 8.50 / 50at one feed store in El Dorado to 9.95 / 50 at a feed store 30 miles away in Camden.

At the store in Camden, pilgrams 22% protein pellets is 12.60 / 50 and the feed store in El Dorado has a 20 % pellet at 12.50 / 40.

The deer on my lease love the 22 % pellets mixed with corn, but last year they were 8.95 a bag so I don't think I will be feeding as much protein this year. But I sure have seen a difference over the last few years, in the deers health, while feeding the pellets.

MET

Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Michael, my land is not too far from El Dorado. It's in Lillie, just a few miles south of Junction City. I'm sure you know where I'm talking about. I just bought a couple of bags of Feeder intesi-fire pellets to mix with my corn. It has a minimum of 24% protein and 10% fat. It will take two bags per feeder mixed with the corn. It costs $6.99 per 5.5 # bag. Have you ever heard of this stuff?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM

I have now my friend ........... yup, I know where Lillie is. My lease is around the Lawson / Urbana area, if you know where that is...... small world. The places I was talking about is Mc Donald feed in Camden, and Henley feed in El Do.

The only problem I see with those pellets is that you get 11 lbs / 14.00 and the protein pellets I was talking about you get 50 lbs. / 12.60. I believe the pilgrams would be much more economical, and I already know that the deer love it. I usually start out in April feeding just protein feed in my Moultrie 250 lb. capacity timer feeders and then go to a protein / corn, 50 / 50 mix around August ( when antler growth is slowing down, then go to straight corn aroundthe 1st of Sept. I then feed to mid Dec. I did not do that this year though, because simple economics makes it prohibitative. I have not even started feeding at allyet. I will probably make a run to Camden for some bags of Protein feed next week though, and then come back to EL DO to get my corn. I am only going to run 2 feeders this year too. And I will be setting the timers for about half the throw that I have been doing in the past. I will start out just working to get them interested and coming around more. I'll get my cameras set out then too, to get a little preview of what is out there this year.

I tell ya, where you are hunting, I would hate to have to feed some of the deer I have seen in that area. You guys know how to grow them big.....

Good luck to ya though. Let me know how your season goes. I always enjoy hearing from folks in my area, and it's not too often you find someone local on a site this big. Also if you are interested, I know of another site you might want to check out. It is an Arkansas site, but we have folks from north LA that come there too. It is www.arkansashunting.net . It is a really good site with a lot of great folks, that almost have become like family. Hope to see ya there, at least to give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

God Bless

MET
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Prices are crazy and will get worse. I usually fill my feeder the first week in August. I will wait until the first week in Sept this year. I only hunt the feeder with my boys (rifle). I bow and rifle hunt on natural deer travel routes. I also plan to try Acorn Rage this year.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Why dont yall do like i do and get in touch with the local farmer who is planting corn and buy it by the ton or 1/2ton how ever much you use.

.243win
Old 07-03-2008, 05:22 PM

Where we live there are no local large corn farmers. just small garden stuff, so we are stuck, although you can get a little better price at the feed store by buying in bulk. But again that presents a whole other problem, like storage and movement.

MET