Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Decisions, Decisions...

Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decisions, Decisions...

I plan on rebarreling my BRNO 98 mauser, it is currently chambered for the 30-06. I'm thinking of 257 Roberts or 35 Whelen, I have a one of each in a 700 ADL and a 7600 which I would probably end up putting up for sale. I really don't want to go out and buy all new brass, dies, bullets, etc which I would have to do if I go with a different chambering. I already have 6.5 x55, 270WSM, 307 Win and another 30-06. Which would you guys go with. I really like both cartridges but it's a toss up. I primarily hunt the eastern woods in cental PA. I don't plan on having any once in a lifetime hunts in the near future. Just looking for some input.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Decisions, Decisions...

are your only 2 options the .257 roberts or .35 whelen, I'm not sure exactly what other calibers might work for your situation, if you list some other possibilities of which I may pick ahead of the 2 you suggested. Of the 2, I know the roberts use to be hugely popular....not sure how much it is anymore....

If it were of the 2, I'd take the .35 whelen, just because of what I already own, and you as well, seem like you have some smaller long range calibers, so why not a bigger thumper round, a .257 roberts would be kinda like more of the same IMO, so why not have an option, also if you do go on a moose hunt or something big, ie a lifetime type hunt, the .35 would be a great option over what you currently have. Might not be the best for out east on deer, but I think you're already covered for deer out east.

If you have some other options, add those, maybe another round I'd really pick over these 2.